Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, June 28, 2019

LIFE!


I found myself bounding down the 3 flights of stairs from my apartment this morning around 7:30… holding on to one end of a yellow leash that was attached to my 65+ pound pooch!  After the first section, I noticed that I had a smile on my face due to the fact that it dawned on me exactly what I was doing.  I was taking the dog out for his morning constitutional and actually enjoying it!

It was funny to me because about a month ago, I remember thinking that having to take him out and about… away from the quiet privacy of our spacious backyard in North Carolina… was gonna be a pain!  But there I was, performing my pet-owner’s responsibilities in broad daylight, in the midst of a whole bunch of apartments and their occupants… and I hadn’t even had my first cup of coffee or shaved and showered yet.  But it seemed right and perfect!  I’m discovering that I actually enjoy being around so many different people again.

By the time I got to the final flight of stairs my attention had switched from the dog to… you guessed it  My lovely wife Piper.  Once again, I found myself quietly chuckling when the thought hit me that I tend to put her on a pedestal whenever I talk or write about her.  But I just shrugged my shoulders, justifying that this response is a rational part of my husbandly prerogative!  Besides, its basically the way I thought of her from day one!

By the time Fiver and I returned to our apartment and I jumped into the shower, my thoughts had moved on to the difference between LIFE and DEATH.  Now it wasn’t a deep philosophical discussion, but a simple vision of the differences between those who tend to dwell on the joys of life and of those who lend themselves to negative responses in their daily lives.

Her love of life was another one of the important things that drew me to Piper… and I believe her to me!  We’ve always seemed to have a positive outlook on things going on around us. In Deuteronomy 30:19 Moses told the children of Israel… and it still rings true to us today… that “I call on heaven and earth as witnesses today that I have offered you life or death, blessings or curses. Choose life so that you and your descendants will live. (God’s Word ©)  Joshua tells the Israelites the same thing at the end of his book in chapter 24.  But he goes on to clarify that in order to do that, you have to stay diligently focused on the truth of God’s teachings.

During the last twelve years of Piper’s physical presence on this earth, as the details of what was going on with her began to become clear, it was pretty obvious as to where people that we interacted with had their focus and expectations set.  There really weren’t any shades of grey… it was simply BLACK or WHITE!  People either gave into thoughts of death or expressed an expectation for life when they heard about and/or saw the changes going on with her.  It was easy to see by the look on their faces and the words that they spoke.

For us, one of the many benefits we received and walked in during the entire experience was an attitude and expectation of life.  This was due to the fact that as Joshua stated, our focus was locked onto the Word of God.  His Word gave us Godly expectations, hope, consistency, strength, wisdom and an uncanny joy that stayed present throughout the whole ordeal.  When I looked at the devastating changes that were drastically altering my wife’s beautiful features and sharp mind, I wasn’t moved (too much), but constantly was reminded of what God said and promised us through His Word.

Philippians 2:16 tells us to “hold firmly to the Word of life.” (God’s Word ©)  Which is exactly what we did then… and I continue to do today as I sort through the fog that thankfully now seems to be dissipating around me!

What is your view in the events of your daily activities?  Do you choose LIFE or do you choose DEATH?  Do you give in to the negative things that you see going on around you, complain a lot or keep thinking about how good things used to be?  Well if so… you need some personal adjusting and a refocus to view the precious quantities of LIFE that are present all around us!  And you do that by focusing your attention and expectation onto what God says in His Word.  It’s actually a pretty simple solution.  It just takes commitment and consistency on your behalf… and before you know it, you’ll be seeing the joys of LIFE unfold before you!

It may not be walking the dog early in the morning in front of the whole world, but something that’s just as simple in your daily existence!  Have a great weekend, and as you do, think about LIFE and say with me… “I am expecting to concentrate on the joys of LIFE instead of on the depressive pull of DEATH-full thoughts, today!”

PS:  When I first returned from taking the dog out, I looked out from my balcony and spotted a neighbor walking his dog while dressed in pajamas and flip-flops... I don't think I'll ever get to that place of relaxation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.