Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, April 6, 2018

How's Your Water Line?


Yesterday turned out to be a very interesting day… but allow me to digress for a moment… Our water bill had been steadily increasing over the last few months and after some investigation I attributed it to a leaky toilet in the guest restroom which didn’t always seem to work correctly from the time we moved in.  So, following a fair amount of procrastination, I finally purchased the parts and changed out the insides of the toilet.  That stopped that leak and the next water bill did go down.  The only problem was that our water consumption was still a lot higher than normal.

Then a couple of weeks ago we heard someone knocking on our door.  It turned out to be the water meter reader who was nice enough to come up and inform me that we must have a leak in the system somewhere!  That bit of information set off a myriad of phone calls after I was awoken in the middle of that same night with the thought that we had signed up for water line repair insurance through the local energy company when we first moved in… Was that the Lord reminding me or what?

So back to yesterday when the plumbers came to replace the line!  The day was interesting just because the two workers were here most of the day digging holes, trenching, putting in new pipes and driving their backhoe/tractor all over the front yard.  We must have been the talk of the neighborhood with almost every car going by stopping to see what was happening.  Then on top of that, Fiver our Australian Shepherd, who was diligently supervising the event from the front storm door, would occasionally start barking when the younger of the two workers would walk by or work in front of the dog.  I guess his mirror sunglasses and backward turned ball cap spooked the pooch!

When they finally completed the job, reseeded the areas they had to dig up and packed up and left, I had a sudden revelation to which I turned to my wife and declared: “We have a new water line!”  Now my lightning quick mind rapidly calculated that Piper was probably thinking at that moment: “So… They’ve been here over six hours and you just figured that out?”

But I was not to be deterred and squinted my eyes and replied: “What is water a type and shadow of in the Bible… Yes… The Holy Spirit!  At the very end of the Bible, Revelation 22:17 tells that “The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" Let those who hear this say, "Come!" Let those who are thirsty come! Let those who want the water of life take it as a gift.” (God’s Word ©) 

My immediate thought went to the stories in the book of Acts where the Apostles and members of the early church received multiple outpourings or anointings of the Holy Spirit following Pentecost.  Wow!  Are we in line for a fresh anointing of the Holy Spirit in our lives?  That thought got me excited and I wanted to pull my wife out of her wheelchair and dance with her around the room… just like we used to do on similar occasions in the past!  But I thought better of it as she was comfortably resting in her chair and most likely wouldn’t appreciate my rough behavior!

What a thought though!  James 1:21 tells us to “…Humbly accept the word that God has placed in you.  (For) This word can save you.” (God's Word ©)  That word “accept” or “receive” in the King James version literally means “To take with the hand, to embrace, to make one’s own.” (Strong’s and Thayer’s)  It expresses an action that we are to make with the Word that Robert’s Word Pictures describes as that which “is the ‘rooted’ word (logos) sown into the good soil of God in our hearts.”  So, it is not just ANY Word but a portion of the Word of God that we have meditated on and digested into a part and package of our daily lives…  It has become a part of who we are!

I’m thinking that it is part and package of all the Word that Piper and I have been stuffing into ourselves over these last bunch of years that led me to the revelation of the new water line… a fresh and new anointing of the power of the Holy Ghost in our lives… and believe me… I could use a little boost for this has been the toughest year yet in the continuing stand of faith for my Piper’s healing!

What about you?  Could you use a boost about this time in your lives?  Well then, I would suggest that you begin to draw on all that seed of the Word of God that you’ve been planting into your lives… and if your personal garden is a little thin of seed, I would encourage you to pick up your Bibles and start taking and planting more seed in the good garden of God in your hearts… after all, it is planting season!  Hummmm… just think of the potential harvest…

Have a fun weekend, and as you do, keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting my crop to look like this summer?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.