Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, March 7, 2018

His Grace


I have many vivid memories of my wife taking the time… whatever time that was necessary, to minister love and grace to our kids.  When I think about the meaning of grace, I many times will picture my 5’ 2 1/2’’wife who may not be real large in physical stature but was always about 105 lbs of compassion and Godly grace… usually all wrapped up in a friendly smile!

I can picture her like it was yesterday when she would be kneeling down next to one of our children, softly and gently calming their emotions, building them up when they felt less than positive about themselves or with something they may have done.  I also recall the many times she would slip her little hand around my upper arm just as I would be heading off to talk with one of our kids, give me that killer-sweet smile and gently remind me to include a liberal involvement of God’s grace in the upcoming conversation.

In this blog I’ve talked about the many lessons that I have learned in life, and especially within the last eleven years as we’ve been involved in the fight for my Piper’s health… but I think the greatest lesson has been centered on my increasingly personal knowledge of God’s love and grace.  I can’t help but go back to Paul’s words in Ephesians 3:19 where he talks about the importance of each of us having an intimate, experiential “knowing” of God’s love which takes us far beyond the limits of our own understanding and thereby enables us to be filled with more and more of God.  (personally paraphrased from Ephesians 3:19 – God’s Word ©)  With that word “knowing” likened in the original Greek to the intimacy that is shared between a husband and wife.

I’ve had some pretty tough experiences when we returned home to California after attending Bible College where I got a very personal look into what it is like to be the target of words and actions that are far from God’s grace.  I would have to say that I had NEVER gone through anything like that before… or since that experience. 

Through it all I came into a clear understanding of what the Lord told Paul when he asked Him to help him through the persecutions he seemed to be facing every time he turned around!  Paul related the incident writing, “And He said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore I will rather glory in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may overshadow me.”  (2 Corinthians 12:9 MKJV)

At one of the lowest points in my life, I turned to Papa God and He began to continually and relentlessly pour out His love and grace on Piper and me.  I can honestly say that while I have always had an intensely close relationship with my wife, I never even knew that I could have a similar relationship with God… until I had no one to turn to for comfort, encouragement and strength… but Him!

I discovered during a teaching on God’s will for healing that we were listening to yesterday afternoon, that the word “POWER” in this verse comes from the Greek word “dunamis” which specifically speaks of “miraculous power and implies a miracle itself” (Strong’s)  Do you get the impact of that statement?  God was telling Paul in Bible times and to us today, that when we are weak, He is strong and when we put our trust in Him, we have EVERY RIGHT to EXPECT A MIRACLE!

When it may seem like everything and everyone around you is against and our abandoning you because of wrongs that they may think you’ve done, His grace shines like the bright morning star in the midnight skies… and believe me… that is exactly what His grace has felt like to me over these last few years!  He doesn’t criticize, complain or pass along false stories about you.  Like Piper, He kneels down beside you, takes your hand in His and simply loves on you!

YES… His GRACE is sufficient for you and me!

Have a great rest of the week, and as you do, keep asking yourself… “How much am I expecting His GRACE for me today!”

1 comment:

  1. So excellent,Jim. I have gone through a time this past 2 years that caused me such personal pain, that I didn't know where the tears could still be coming.
    Just when a "love" was pulled away from me, that I had known since I was a toddler, my heart broke in a manner I didnt know could happen. Through a new friend, I relealized that God is love and in Him is NO DARKNESS. Though I was devastated and had to learn how to forgive one that saw no wrong in the matter, I was reminded that God's love for the one as well as God's love for me were still unchanged. I was encouraged to not look to the flesh of said one, but to love as I am loved. Love never fails. I have learned that I am not called to or qualified to make judgement on another based on how or if I agree with their life's choices or how they reflect on me. That removed a major load to allow my heart, mind, life to become taller straighter. Love how God loves? What a novel idea! It was then explained to me that it was through the union of Father, Son, Spirit that every human living now or ever will live created who we are (Not just our parents passion). Even our breath is gifted to each of us. This person breathes and is loved by God regardless of any actions to me or any actions at all.
    My gavel is now retired and I breathe easier than ever. We can not escape the all encompassing love of Abba. He was with Jesus on the cross reconciling the world, the entire world to Himself. Also realizing that we all have been known and loved from before the foundation of the world,this causes us to be as He is in this world. I am in Him, He is in me, the father and Jesus are one, that means we are in "onness" in a bigger way than we have been taught. What can separate us from the love of God? The list is big, but it means "nothing" can separate
    So, I have learned to forgive and love as I am forgiven and loved. I am a better husband, Dad and neighbor.this is a bit Too long, but I wanted to respond. G. Matthews

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.