Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Diet Plans...


Over the last week or so, I have been transitioning into a Low Carb High Fat diet.  Our oldest daughter and her husband have been living proof to the validity of the LCHF lifestyle for a few years now and the results are amazing.  They both look great, have lots of energy, run/walk the occasional 5K race, are in good health and tend to be great sources of information for anything one might need to know concerning the LCHF/Ketogenic or Paleo diets.

I dabbled with the diet a few years back but got distracted and reverted back to my old eating habits.  In the weeks leading up to Christmas though, I began to realize that I needed to make a few changes around here!  I had gained a few extra pounds, and for months I had been waking up tired, sore and lethargic.  And by the time I got Piper to bed at night I felt like I was ready to collapse!  Now, I am sure that the constant stress, concern, and physical care for my wife, or the getting up numerous times a night to check on her doesn’t help, but I felt like I needed a change and this seemed to be the right way to go!

As far as the LCHF diet/lifestyle goes though, one of the enemies to the Ketogenic process is carbs in the form of starch and therefore BREAD in its various forms… and I really have enjoyed my muffins or bagels in the morning, a sandwich at lunch and a delicious potato with dinner… and don’t get me started on my love for Pasta!  I think I could literally eat it every night.

On the positive side, I have been getting pretty bored with my cooking and the menus I have been preparing over the last few years.  What I REALLY miss is my wife’s cooking!  But either way… I was ready for a change… for something new!  And you know… after less than a week I have actually lost a couple of pounds and more importantly (to me) I feel a lot better already!  I am more alert and energetic in the morning, I don’t feel bloated and haven’t experienced any more lightheadedness. 

So… even though it has only been a short while and I still have a lot to learn and understand concerning this new lifestyle, I am a happy camper and enthused about experiencing the long term results!

But… what about the BREAD?  Well… I’m learning that there are many non-grain, minimal carb substitutes that are actually quite good.  Jamie has made some of these and brought them over and I must admit that I was surprised that it wasn’t a normal grain/flour based food.

But as we have been talking about in this blog lately… There is another kind of BREAD where there are NO available substitutes.  Jesus talked about Himself saying: “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never become hungry, and whoever believes in me will never become thirsty.”  I’ve found that His kind of BREAD has a two-fold purpose.  First of all it is the nourishment that our spirit-man not only longs for but also requires in order for us to grow in the wisdom and knowledge of our Father God, the Lord Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit who empowers us.

Secondly, the greatest side effect of a well-fed spirit man is a mentally and physically stronger, wiser, more alert, and increasingly spiritually sensitive individual who is filled with the joy, expectation and AMAZEMENT of a life excited about seeing the things of God happening in, through and for their daily activities.  I have come to the place in my life where I can tell fairly rapidly when I need to stop what I am doing and spend some time in the Word of God. 

This is a trait that I definitely picked up from my wife!  You could ask any of our kids and they will tell you how their mother would suddenly stop their schooling activities when personalities began to clash or when things seemed to slow down or become confused and begin to praise the Lord, read some scripture aloud, or gather them around the piano to sing a worship song or two.

I am very happy to say that this kind of BREAD is one that can only do good things for you and me!  To me, this BREAD of life” is the very foundation of a Christian’s life in both the physical and spiritual realms.  When things tend to go south in the daily care of my wife, I find the most efficient pick-me-up to be a few moments in God’s Word.  It is the best and most long-lasting tonic that I can suggest… from personal experience!

But… just how often should we get some Word?  Well… that’s a good question that we’ll talk about in our next post later this week.  But in the meantime… Enjoy an experience in the Word today… and as you do, ask yourself… What am I expecting from my personal time studying God’s Word today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.