Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, October 13, 2017

Plump Up?

One of the many symptoms that has demonstrated itself with my wife’s health concerns has been a constant fluctuation in her weight.  It was our concern over her inability to gain weight that led us to the initial physical examination she had back in 2006 before we left for Oklahoma.  The physician at that time thought that her weight was well within the normal range and gave her a clean bill of health.  So we proceeded forward with our plans to move.

After being prescribed a seizure medicine in 2009 she almost immediately gained 38 lbs.  Then about six months later I asked the doctor if there was a liquid form of the medication as she was not always consistent in swallowing the rather large pills.  Well there was and we switched over to the liquid form.  For some reason though, she lost the 38lbs in a few months and returned to her normal weight.

A funny side note happened during this time… Following Piper’s original diagnosis in 2009, I had different people tell me all about the negative reactions that they witnessed or ever heard about in a parent, spouse or friend in order to “warn” me about potential changes in my wife’s demeanor.  Let me tell you flat out hereDon’t do that to a person who is facing a lot of unknowns and attempting to deal with all kinds of things from a personal, emotional, financial and spiritual stand point!  It definitely was NOT what I wanted or needed to hear at that time.

Most times I smiled kindly at the individual relating the story to me and told them that I KNEW what was in my wife’s spirit and that anger or violence would NEVER occur in her… and it hasn’t in the eight years since then!  In fact, my wife has never exhibited negative or any self-destructive tendencies… but just the opposite!  She simply got funnier and a little less reserved in the way she responded to others.

One time when we went over to her parent’s home, she went up to her Dad upon entering the living room and gave him a big bear hug.  Then without a second thought she laughed and said: “Whoa Dad… you’ve gained quite a bit of weight haven’t you!”  Well, without having to say, every eye in the room went to her Dad following her broach of the sensitive subject.  Her Dad became flustered and a bit taken aback and immediately replied: “YOU’RE the one who has gained weight!” His retort upset me but not my still spunky wife.  She continued laughing and soon everyone in the room, including her Dad was laughing along with her!

Since that time her weight has gone up and down… usually down.  I had talked about it with her neurologist at the time and she gave me some information on a variety of foods and liquids that could help to put the pounds back on.  Our oldest daughter and I agreed that it was probably best to get her weight up to about 110lbs in order to put a little more cushion on her in case she should fall as her coordination was beginning to wane.  But Piper would have nothing to do with that decision!  In her mind, her perfect weight was always 105lbs and she would not budge!

I often joked about that in the years to come for even when she lost the ability to verbally communicate and I tried my best to get her weight to the 110lb level… I could not get it that high!  I now believe that it was due to her bull-dog like determination in keeping her weight at the level that was comfortable with her!  Since the beginning of this last year she has lost even more weight and I would love to be able to see it just get close to 100lbs again!

In Psalm 143:9 the Psalmist cries out: “Deliver me, O LORD, from mine enemies: I flee unto thee to hide me.” (KJV)   As I studied this verse earlier today, I came across a link between the above story of the ups and downs of Piper’s weight and a point that David was trying to convey to his readers.  The word translated “hide” in the original Hebrew not only means “to cover” but also leans to the idea of “to plump or to fill up.” 

So as I have been attempting to “plump up” my wife (Geez… Don’t EVER tell her I used that term for her as she has almost always been slim and trim… and proud of it!) David is telling us that when we “flee” to the Lord for deliverance that we can not only “hide” or “be covered” up by Him for our protection… but also… while we are in His presence, to take advantage of the moment and “fill up” and/or “plump up” our spirit man or women with His Word of truth!

As far as I am concerned… when in the presence of the Lord it is NOT the time to be reserved, but to dig in to the spread set before you at the table that He has prepared for us “in the presence of mine enemies” (Psalm 23:5 KJV)  In this case, spiritual calories are a GOOD THING to have!

I have mentioned it repeatedly in many other posts and in fact, told the gal cutting my hair yesterday at Great Clips, that filling up, plumping up or stuffing us with His Word on a daily basis has been the KEY to keeping my wife and I strong, focused and (mostly) at peace in the midst of everything we have been through with the battle we are fighting for her life!  Let me tell you again… HIS WORD WORKS!  But you’ve got to hear it before you can act on it!

So… what do you say?  Are you ready to attend a FEAST this weekend?  To go to a place where the table set before you is overflowing with luscious, delicious and mouth as well as spirit-man watering dishes?  Where the sign on the door says “Eat All You Can!”  I SURE am!

Have a wonderful weekend… even if the circumstances around you might not look too promising.  Get into His presence, pull up a chair at the table and enjoy yourselves!

And… as you do, keep asking yourself… “Just how much am I expecting to EAT today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.