Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, July 24, 2017

Boomerang!


Do you ever stop and think about the consequences of the words you speak?  After everything that my wife and I have been told over the last ten years… I sure do!  Now I tend to listen very carefully to what I hear being spoken around me, by our leaders being covered in the daily news, as well as by those in our circle of friends and family.

I have to be careful when I hear folks from a certain political party speaking so that I don’t get angry or frustrated!  It continues to amaze me how the leaders - that we have elected into office - can completely disregard the will of the people they serve and tell mis-truths by continually coming up with false accusations and obstructing the policies that our president is attempting to put into motion….and then have the nerve to say – on camera – that they know what the American people want! 

I guess that I am pretty sensitive to all of this because I have had similar things happen to me and my wife.  But you know... lately I have begun to see things changing just a bit!  Deep down I have always believed that all the wrong words and actions would eventually come back to haunt those spewing such mis-truths! 

Then as I was studying the Bible along these lines the other day, I suddenly realized why I had been thinking that way.  While writing down some notes from Philippians 3:12-14, I suddenly felt the urge to turn to Matthew 7:1-2.  After quickly clicking my Bible study program to the epistle of Matthew, I found the spot where Jesus told us to “Judge not, that you may not be judged.  For with the judgement you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.” (MKJV/ESV) 

Those words got me to thinking about some of the recent events with main stream media reporters being fired for making up false news stories, and some Democratic politicians voicing their disappointment with the direction that their party has taken.  Then it hit me like a brick – OUCH!  In looking back over the last few years, I suddenly realized that most of the things that I had been accused of in the care of my wife had actually been acted out by or happened to the individuals who voiced the false narratives!  YIKES!

I have to admit that the reality of those thoughts were shocking to me… This may sound funny or simple minded but… God means what He says!  That truth forced me to my knees as I began to pray for those involved in our lives as well as for the guilty parties in our political system today.  What really came upon me in a strong manner was the understanding of what those folks must have felt like in the midst of the trials and tribulations that they were going through.

And I also realized that I didn’t want any part of negative words and thoughts that I might be tempted to say or think come back on me!  Once again I like how the Message Bible puts it into everyday lingo declaring: “Don’t pick on people, jump on their failures (or what you may think are their failures), or criticize their faults – unless, of course you want the same treatment.  That critical spirit has a way of boomeranging! (Matthew 7:1-2 The Message)

I definitely don’t want negative criticisms boomeranging back onto me… and I would bet that you don’t either!  Once again I go back to the truth of just keeping one’s mouth shut… as someone wise once said: “If you don’t have anything good to say, then don’t say anything at all!” (I know my wife said that a lot – and she’s always been pretty wise!)  From now on I am going to put forth more effort to live the truth “That it is always better to bless than to curse!”

So what do you think?  Have a great last full week of July, and as you do keep asking yourself… “What kind of words and actions am I expecting to boomerang back to me today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.