Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

The Highest Court


Have you ever said or done something that was instantly judged incorrectly by another individual?  I’ve had that happen many times over the years and, let me say, it can have the most disheartening effect on you!  To be perfectly honest, I’ve also done some of the unjust judging myself… and I wish that I could go back and redo those situations now!

I can remember praying back in my Junior College days that I could develop a much quicker wit, or the ability to come back when spoken to, with a fast and funny… or even ‘zinging’ reply.  But you know… it never happened… and I’m quite happy about that!  I’ve always been the type of individual who needs to take a little time to think about, consider and at times pray about my return comments to others… especially when the other individual’s words were incorrect or a little biting.

Since my wife and I have been on this journey with her health concerns, I believe my need to mull over things said to us and my eventual – hopefully well-thought-out - reply has helped to keep peace amongst family and friends!  In the long run, it has also helped me to keep a certain level of personal sanity as I strive to care for my wife’s changing needs while things might be in turmoil all around me!

Correct judgement or discernment… read that Spiritual Discernment… has become a number one factor during this journey.  Many times there are daily decisions that have needed to be made concerning emergency situations, medicines, finances, medical care and the overall quality of daily life as a whole.  At times like this I have come to depend on the wisdom of the Lord and my ability to hear from Him and then follow through on whatever action I believe He is telling me to take.

And how do I do that?  Well, I keep myself and my wife filled with the Word of God.  If you’ve been reading this blog for any amount of time you know our daily schedule.  We start and end the day with the confession of healing scriptures, read from various Christian books on faith and healing after meals, and then throughout the day, pray and speak different Words of God’s truth over Piper.  I have even opened up my private Bible study time to my wife as I vocally share with her as I am studying at the table before my breakfast!  (I joke with Piper that she and the dog always get fed before me!)

Hebrews 4:12 tells us that God’s Word is the greatest and/or highest judge or source of discernment in the land!  The writer of the book declares that “God’s word is living and active.  It is sharper than any two-edged sword and cuts as deep as the place where soul and spirit meet, the place where joints and marrow meet.  God’s Word judges a person’s thoughts and intentions.” (God’s Word ©)  The King James Version interprets that last truth by saying that God’s Word “is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”

So what am I trying to say here?  It is pretty simple… God’s Word is the place to go if you need to develop a keen sense of spiritual discernment in your life.  It is the highest court in the world!  By focusing your expectations and dependence on the contents of God’s book of “Spirit and life” (John 6:63) you’ll greatly reduce the personal embarrassment and pain caused by making quick judgments that may be incorrect, as well as hurtful to those on the receiving end of your words!

You see, the judgements found in God’s Word are based on the infallible truth of our heavenly Father, not on predetermined answers based on an individual’s own beliefs or experiences.  It is very similar to a recent Supreme Court decision on the legality of the President’s temporary travel ban. 

My understanding is that the highest court in our land made a temporary decision to remove the hold on most of the items on the President’s order that was put on by two lower level federal courts.  While the two lower courts based their restraining orders on comments made by the then candidate Trump during the campaign and their disagreement with what he said, the higher court simply based their decision on the constitution of the land and what it states concerning the legal authority of the President in this matter of national security.

Think about it.  How many times have you made a judgement on the validity of something someone said strictly based on your own belief system or past experience?  If you’re honest with yourself, you’ll probably see where it may have happened a time or two!  Like I said, I know it has with me… even in some of the counselling that I’ve done in the past within my position as Assistant Pastor! 

I’ve learned a lot throughout our experiences over the last ten years when faced with the needs of my wife’s health.  And some of the most important things has been forcing myself to look at “Me” when I’ve had some incorrect judgments spoken toward my wife and I.  What is that old saying that when you point one finger at someone that there are three others pointing back at you!  The point is… I don’t want to cause others to go through what I have! 

Therefore, I have made the conscious decision to go to the highest court in the Land… BEFORE I make a judgment on others!  What about you?

Have a super rest of the week, and as you do, keep asking yourself… “Am I expecting to be quick to judge… or to seek God’s truth on the matter BEFORE I reply?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.