Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, October 28, 2016

What's Your Source of Life?



If you’ve been following this blog for any amount of time then you most likely know that I am a man that puts a lot of stock in the Word of God.  Which as I wrote about yesterday, is what my wife and I have come to see as the script for the story of our lives!  

I know many people who look to the daily news in order to stay informed as to what is happening in the world that may affect their lives.  I have come to learn that no matter what the news says, I do not have to fear or be moved.  Instead, I am thankful because the Word of God tells me that no matter what… Papa God will always lead me in victory! (See: 2 Corinthians 2:14)  I’ve made a point over the years to always look at the Word before I look at any paper or electronic news source.  This way I am fortified for any natural reports that I may hear or see.

My reliance on the Word has only increased over the last nine years with the battle for my wife’s health.  And throughout that time I have learned many lessons concerning how His Word affects the very core of our daily lives.  I have seen that when one is fighting a war for a loved one’s health, that this individual NEEDS the constant input of life that only the Word of God can give!

Early on I would find myself getting very frustrated and drained when I was around certain Christians.  Recently I have come to understand that in most instances, when we were around these folks, the only Word that was being spoken was coming from myself or my wife when she still was still able to converse with those around her.

Romans 10:17 tells us that “Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God.”  (ESV) So no Word = no faith!  The writer of Hebrews tells us that “the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing the division of soul and spirit, of joints and marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” (Hebrews 4:12 ESV)  I now understand that to mean that fellowship with other Believers that is centered around the Word brings life and involves the whole man… spirit, soul and body!  If the conversation is only based on natural things then it is only a mental exercise! 

Don’t get me wrong.  There is definitely a place for these kinds of discussions, but when the conversation is center on an individual fighting for their very life, then I want to speak the Word into the discussion!  Believe me when I say that those of us who are in the throes of a life or death situation NEED to hear the Word in order to continually build up our expectations for the miraculous power of God’s Word to be working in our situation.  Remember Hebrews 11:1 declares that “Faith assures us of the things we expect…” (God’s Word ©)  People in the middle of a battle NEED to keep their expectations HIGH!

I am so thankful for friends like my long time buddy John who calls me from California on a weekly basis to encourage me with testimonies he’s been a part of as he has prayed for friends that needed a touch of God in their bodies, or simply to share a scripture with me.

So yeah… I am a man who greatly desires to hear, and hear, and hear the Word!  For Piper and I… it is the very fountain of life… His Zoë… the absolute fullness of the God kind of life! 
It is the power that gives me the strength to get up with a smile (most times…) in the middle of the night to meet my wonderful wife’s needs and keep a smile on my face and faith in my heart and on my lips when I see the devastating changes that have come upon her person.  It is the way the expectations of God’s personal words to me that “the best is yet to come”  stays sharp and alive in me!  I mean let’s face it… “If God be for us, then who (or what) can be against us!” (Romans 8:31 KJV)

Therefore, let me leave you with this question to ponder over this upcoming weekend: “Do you have God’s Word of life ever growing in intensity, reality and power in your daily activities?”  I sure hope so!  Have a great weekend, and as you do, keep asking yourself… “What source of Zoë life am I expecting to encourage, uplift and empower me today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.