Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Keep On Keeping On!



As I was mowing the front lawn in our yard a few days ago, I looked up through the tall trees and forested area that fill the western border of our property and just had to let out a contented sigh!  I sat back in the seat of the riding mower and was overwhelmed with awe and thanksgiving unto God.  The only thing I could say over the roar of the 20 hp mower at the time was “Wow!  This is all ours!”

When you think about it… we’ve come a long way over the past six years.  Who knew when I first quit my outside job to put full-time effort into the battle for my wife’s health, that a few years later we would be living on the other side of the country, in our dream house, located in a dream setting that fits us to a tee!  

As I look back today I can see how the Lord was watching over us the whole time.  Sure things were a bit tight during that first year, but all of our needs were always met.  We were given a practically new car and were able to reside in a wonderful planned park-like community with friendly, caring neighbors.  I can honestly say that we never worried about finances because we felt that despite what others may have said, we were obeying the Lord and in doing so trusted Him implicitly for the necessities of our situation.  I have to laugh once again as I recall the off-handed statement of an individual back then who was telling us about someone they knew who was “destitute like you!”  I guess the Lord does have a good sense of humor…

It seemed like the more we trusted Him and stepped out in obedience to the various leadings He was giving us, the more things opened up for us.  After a year or so we both had insurance coverage, I was being paid to care for my sweet wife and we had plenty more to put in store.  During this time, we both felt that our return home to California was just a temporary stop… but neither of us knew where we would end up!

So here we are in the beautiful countryside in North Carolina.  Who knew back in 1998 when this house was being built that Jim & Piper Berruto would eventually be living in it… Well, I guess God did!  In fact, I believe that He had the builders add many of the little extras and upgrades around the home and property because He knew that they would be our hearts desires by the time we got here.  When we bought our first home back in 1986 we were very limited as to the upgrades we could get.  But this house seems to have come with everything we desired and more!  I am still finding little things around the house and thinking that is something that Piper and I talked about having if we ever were able to purchase another home.

I can’t help but be reminded of Paul’s words to the church in Corinth in 1 Corinthians 1:9 when he encouraged his readers by emphatically declaring that “God is faithful, by whom you were called to the fellowship of his son, Jesus Christ our Lord.” (MKJV)  The God’s Word © translation says “God faithfully keeps his promises.  He called you to be partners with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.”  I like the idea of us being partners with Jesus.  Our best successes in life come when we work together with Him and His Word.  I’ve discovered that as we seek and find His will for us and then obey His specific directions, He stays faithful to His promises for us and it seems like all kinds of possibilities open up… many of which we had NO idea were possible… let alone destined for us!

Well… that’s my encouragement for each of you today.  Don’t let up or let go today!  Keep on keeping on with Him, His Word and His directions for you.  Stick it out for the long run and before you know it, you’ll find yourself in a similar situation as I did while mowing the lawn a few days ago, filled with awe and thanksgiving and only able to utter “Wow!  This is all ours!”

Have a great rest of the week and as you do, keep asking yourself… “Am I expecting to be Awe Struck by God’s goodness today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.