Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Active Participation


My wife and I recently discovered an area outside of the downtown blocks of the little town of Apex, North Carolina that we really like.  For the last couple of weekends we have explored the streets and regions of the locale.  Sunday was especially pleasant as the hot and humid weather finally broke and we drove in the countryside in the eighty degree temperatures with the top down and the gentle breezes swirling around the open cabin.  The countryside seemed to burst with color and you know… it even smelled good! 
The best way to explain it could be demonstrated when we were paused at a stoplight next to a little car filled with four young men who were grooving to the blasting tunes emitting from their stereo system.  I shared a big smile and a good laugh when I cast my glance to the driver, who was a rather big guy, as he looked my way with a grin and began to sway his upper torso to the beat!  Then in a flash the light turned green and he nodded and sped off over the next rolling hill, while we slowly accelerated and simply absorbed the deep rumble of our V8 engine and tuned exhaust!
The first thing I always consider when we look at housing now a days, is how accessible the home and property would be for a wheelchair.  The homes in this semi-rural area have paved driveways and walkways, can easily be fitted with ramps and are approachable by smooth paved roads.  The only drawback is that they don’t have sidewalks.  This one potential roadblock to rural living, since we enjoy our daily walks, has gotten me to thinking about some retrofits I could make to Piper’s chair.  It is also something that I want to discuss with her Physical Therapist and chair Rep when we meet to discuss a custom new chair for her.
My thought is that if we had larger tube tires we could probably go more places off the paved paths that we pretty much have to stick to at this point.  This alteration could open up a whole new arena of opportunities for us and happily expand the range of possibilities for the type of house and neighborhood that we could move to.
The same could be said of our increasing knowledge of the Gospel.  As I continued my study in Colossians today, it dawned on me that the Gospel is also called the “Good News!”  In fact, the God’s Word © modern translation normally translates the word “Gospel” throughout the New Testament as “The Good News.”
Colossians 1:6 informs us that “This Good News is present with you now (and) it is producing results and spreading.” (God’s Word ©)  A little further down in verse twelve Paul tells us that the Father “hath made us worthy to be partakers or participants of the inheritance of the saints in light.” (KJV)  Vincent’s Word Studies says to connect “In light with inheritance: the inheritance which is in light.  This need not be limited to future glory.  The children of God walk in light on earth.”  So that tells me along with many other such scriptures, that we get to be active participants of our inheritance in our everyday lives… today, tomorrow and forever!
That Gospel truth has JOY written all over it!  I guess that is why it is called the “Good News!”  It is also one of the main reasons that we can have JOY all day long - 24/7… even when times may be a little hard at that particular moment.  For His “Good News” promises us ultimate victory at the end of our faith-filled, JOY-filled, patient stands of faith.  So we can rejoice even in the midst of troubled times and in doing so be a conduit of His peace to those also touched by the situation.
Sometimes folks give me a bit of a strange look when I can smile while in the throes of dealing with the attack on my wife’s health.  But you know… it is hard to stay sad, down or depressed when I cast my eyes upon the “Good News” of Jesus Christ and participate in the expectations of that which He has already provided for my wife and I through His finished work on the cross!
That’s where the secret weapon of His JOY stands out!  That’s one of those opportunities when we can open up our coats and pull out our concealed weapon of His JOY and let the light of His inheritance shine forth in and through our lives into there’s!  I like being an active participant of His inheritance in this earth… How about you?
Have a great day!  If you haven’t done it yet, take a moment or two to take out your concealed weapon of His JOY and polish it up by sharing it with someone else today.  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What or Who am I expecting to unleash God’s Secret Weapon on today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.