Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Put On A Happy Face!

They say that opposites attract.  In fact, many professionals will tell you that this is one of the necessary basics for a successful marriage.  But in our case, I would have to disagree!  My wife and I have very similar personalities, almost identical outlooks on life, and are in harmony over most of our beliefs in the emotional, physical and spiritual realms.  Sure we both have our individual strengths and weaknesses where we complement each other, but we tend to walk the same path in the way we live our lives.

I am sure that I have probably mentioned this before, but Piper and I have always been the sort of odd-balls in our perspective families.  Now, I don’t necessarily mean this as a bad thing, but rather to point out that we tend to stand apart from the rest in a variety of ways.  The two most discernible areas would be in our easy-going and laid back approach to life, and that we tend to look on life and experience it with a smile and a laugh!
I know that I tend to take after my Mom and her Dad, as I have been told of this by my Mom and by others in our family.  Both of them were happy individuals, always had an encouraging word, and made you feel like a million bucks when you were in their presence.  And while I didn’t know Piper’s paternal Grandfather, as he had passed a year or so previous to our getting together, I would have to say that Piper, in many ways, resembles her paternal Grandma or “Gam” as they affectionately called her.  In the short amount of time that I had to get to know Gam, she struck me as one who was confident in who she was, always had a glint of mischief in her eyes, a positive outlook on life and a smile on her face.  Gam was the unsaid leader of the entire family, both young and old alike.
If I was to sum up our life up to this point, I would have to use the words fun, spontaneous, and laughter!  I recently came across a photograph taken of my wife in the parking lot of one of the California State Beaches on our Sonoma County coast about 45 minutes from our home.  From the look of the surroundings, the occasion was a family outing at Goat Rock State Beach about ten years ago.  In the pic she is standing next to her Suburban wearing a seemingly conflicting outfit of blue shorts and a heavy blue wool Pea Coat with the hood pulled up… the typical attire for a summer afternoon at our coast!
To me, the outstanding part of the pose though, is the huge smile that she has on her face.  I really don’t recall what she was laughing at, but her expression of glee that is captured on film is an accurate portrayal of her personality and the perfect summary of our life together.  Cheerfulness and laughter has always been a core value of our family.  It has been one of the key elements that has helped us through the hard times as well as the easy times.  I guess you could say that in many respects, it has become our trademark to those who really know us.
Psalm 100:2 encourages us to “Serve the Lord cheerfully. Come into his presence with a joyful song.” (God’s Word ©)  In what many consider Charles Spurgeon’s greatest work, “The Treasury of David” which is an excellent treatise on the book of Psalms, the author states concerning this verse that “we ought in worship to release the presence of God.”  As I read this earlier today, I instantly thought of how our cheerful attitudes have the potential to release the presence of God into other people’s lives. I have found that a smile is more welcomed by those around you than is a frown.  An uplifting word is more ably received than a complaint.
The Message Bible paraphrases Psalm 100:2 as “Bring a gift of laughter, sing yourselves into his presence.”  According to that interpretation, a smile and a laugh have just as much a positive effect to God as it does to those in whom we interact with each day of our lives!  A cheerful attitude and a hardy laugh are not only good for your spiritual life, but medical science has also proven that it does good for one’s physical and emotional well-being as well! *
This morning as I was helping my wife to get out of bed she stumbled a bit, but as I already had my arms around her, I simply held her a little tighter and softly told her that it was okay and that she was safe in my arms.  At that moment I had to smile as I thought how God tells us the same thing whenever we have a need and reach out to Him.  Then as I sat her on the edge of the bed so I could comb her hair, I had to laugh aloud as I pondered the reality that my first reaction to the thought of God’s goodness to me was to smile!
Can you say the same thing about your initial reaction when you think about our loving heavenly Father?  Depending on the translation that we read from, Psalm 100:2 is instructing us to be cheerful,to be happy, to find delight in, or simply to be glad in our service to the Lord.  Do you find your service to Him as a chore or as a joyful experience?  Do you find yourself smiling more than frowning throughout the days of your life?  Do you approach the situations of life as problems or as opportunities to joyfully trust in the Lord?
This season of Thanksgiving is the perfect time to think about such questions and to make whatever adjustments that might need to be made in order to line up with David’s exhortations in Psalm 100:2.  Have a good day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting TO SMILE ABOUT today?”
 

* (See: http://www.helpguide.org/life/humor_laughter_health.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.