Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Friendship


After I helped my wife to bed last night, I walked quietly through the darkened house that was illuminated only by the starlight that drifted in through the two large windows that sit up high near the peak of our cathedral ceilings.  As I stood in the middle of the living room I glanced around the room and began to think about all the responsibilities that rest on my shoulders.  I was a little at awe at how everything was getting done and longed for the able-bodied assistance of my best friend and confidant, my wife.   Then as I walked into the hallway a gentle voice whispered in my ear saying, “You’re not alone and you have another best friend who is with you wherever you go.”

That voice and that truth that was uttered deep within me, brought an instant peace to my heart and mind and a visible smile to my lips.  It was as if Jesus physically stood in the hallway with me and put His arm around my shoulders.  Except for my wife, I am not usually real comfortable hugging other people or have them hug me, but the impression of His embrace lifted my spirits and refurbished my stock of faith to go on.

This morning as I spent time in the Word, I found myself looking at scriptures about friendship and ended up in James 2:23 where the writer talks about God’s relationship with Abraham.  The God’s Word translation says, “The scripture passage came true.  It says, ‘Abraham believed God, and that faith was regarded by God to be his approval of Abraham.’  So Abraham was called God’s friend.”  The thought of being God’s friend in conjunction with the words that were spoken to me last night intrigued me.

The verse previous to the one above stated that “Abraham’s faith and what he did worked together.  His faith was shown to be genuine by what he did.”  (James 2:22 God’s Word ©)  So, if you look at friendship through the eyes of those two verses, I can see where my faith has been approved by my heavenly Father and He therefore considers me His friend.

Has my faith always been the rock-solid standard that is never moved, never shaken and never questioned in the midst of all that we have faced over the last few years?  Well, if you have read this blog in the past you know that the answer to that question is “NO!”  There have been times where my faith has jiggled and where questions have popped into my mind, but those experiences were quickly dispelled by the knowledge of the truth of His Word and the personal experiences of His love.

God knows our intentions and our hearts and as demonstrated to me last night, He is always there to comfort us, to pick us up if necessary, and then set us off on the right path again.  Romans 8:37 declares that “The one who loves us gives us an overwhelming victory in all these difficulties.”  (God’s Word ©)  We may not be perfect yet, but He is!  He is our friend and “A friend loves at all times…”  (Proverbs 17:17 NKJV)  He will always be there for us. 

When I finally got into bed last night I still had that smile upon my face and the warm peace of His presence, knowing that I never walk alone… and either do you!  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.