Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Relax and Enjoy The Snow!

Well today, my wife and I had the pleasure of talking to our youngest daughter who also resides in Oklahoma.  Like myself, she is a graduate of Rhema Bible Training Center where her brother is currently attending.  Much of our conversation revolved around the major snow storm that had just gone through the area where she is.  I shivered as I looked at the clear blue sky with 65 degree temperatures outside my study’s window and thought about the 9 degree frozen environment that she was viewing out the window of the home she was at!  She mentioned the fun she had at being thrown into the snow by her boyfriend, and her attempts at retaliation!  (I told her to go show Jeremiah that these California bred girls are tough characters and don’t give up easily!)

She is really enjoying her extended stay in Oklahoma and is beginning to see it as home for the next few years.  With a new job, new ballet school and private violin lessons, her days are bright and future is on track. 

Our conversation got me to thinking about attitudes and the different ways that we look at things.  I always saw our time spent in Oklahoma as a temporary assignment.  We were there for school and then were headed back to Calie and full time ministry.  Because of that attitude I never settled in and thought of it as home.  I now see that I probably missed many good opportunities because I did not let go of California and give our Oklahoma adventure my all!

I see a totally different attitude with my two younger kids.  They are fully committed to living where they are, seeing everyday as a new adventure, and are happy and satisfied with their lives.  While neither of them believe that they will stay in Oklahoma for the long haul, they are peaceful and content and look forward to the days and months ahead.

I guess this is another lesson in planning for the future.  There has to be a balance between what is happening ahead of you and what is coming up around the corner.  Once again, we need to keep an eye on that finish line, but not at the expense of missing out on today!  I think that this is a common mistake with parenting.  Many parents, especially fathers, will be so concerned at providing for their kid’s futures that this miss providing for their kids emotional needs today!

There is a section in the book of Philippians that tells us to not worry about anything by giving all your concerns to God, and then to let His peace be our direction finder for what is coming up ahead of us!  (see Philippians 4:6-7)  Don’t make the same mistake I did by being so caught up in making everything work today, so I could leave and progress to the next phase of my life!  Relax a little!  Trust your concerns to your foundation and enjoy the ride, while staying alert to the directional signs on the road of your life.  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself…”What am I expecting today!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.