Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Saturday, September 16, 2023

FREE Things

Not too long after I purchased my Amazon Kindle e-reader a few years back, I discovered an online book club called BookBub.  When I signed up for the FREE service, I listed my favorite genres of literature along with my email and immediately began receiving a daily email with a list of potential books that I might enjoy reading… at very discounted prices.  After a while, I also noticed that they would regularly offer FREE books as well!  Then, following a hunch, I went onto to the Amazon website and learned that they list the FREE Kindle books that anyone can purchase for their connected e-reader.

Well… if you’re anything like me, then you probably don’t mind taking advantage of FREE offerings… Am I right?  So, while I still occasionally purchase eBooks, the vast majority of the books I now read are the FREE ones that I’ve downloaded.  Anytime I see a FREE offering that looks promising, I download it. Then in case I don’t like it, I simply delete from my Kindle library... which has enough books downloaded to it, that it would probably take me a couple of years to read them all!

And… while we are on the subject of FREE things… did you know that your Bible is stuffed full of FREE offerings that are available to you and me through our personal relationship with Jesus?  YES, IT IS TRUE!  And they are there for the taking!  All one has to do is to know what they are and how and when to activate and/or receive them into your life.

Philippians 4:4 in the Remedy Bible Translation tells us that these FREE things, be they blessings, strength, ability, wisdom, heath or financial stability… and much, much more, constitute the underlying reasons that we can and should,

“ Rejoice in the Lord always, and Again I say, Rejoice!”  (Philippians 4:4 - KJV)

The modern Remedy Bible details the workings of this verse and further expands our understanding by teaching us to,

“Revel in the Lord and in ALL that he has FREELY given you. Yes, rejoice in the Lord and IN ALL HE IS and (IN ALL He) PROVIDES!” 

And the key to KNOWING what all those FREE things are and how to RECEIVE them, is in the depth of yours and my personal relationship with the Lord… through our daily interactions with Him in His Word! 

The Lord has many times likened the workings of my personal relationship with Him to that of my relationship with my late wife Piper.  Throughout the 48 years that we were together, there was hardly ever a week that went by where I didn’t learn something new about her… and that happened because we made the time on a daily basis, to enjoy each other’s company.  Many times, it was a slow walk around the neighborhood, a ride in the car to the supermarket or simply a few quality moments alone as we got ready for bed.

And that is the same way that you and I get to know more of the intimate aspects of the Lord, what pleases him… as well as what does not… and to learn of the special things that He has provided for us as His children.  Colossians 1:27 explains that,

“God wanted his people throughout the world to know the glorious riches of this mystery-which is Christ living in you, giving you the expectation of glory.”        (God’s Word  

The two important words in order to best understand Paul’s point here, are the words “KNOW” and “GLORY.”  “To KNOW the glorious riches of this mystery…” is talking about having an intimate and deeply personal knowledge and understanding of the mystery that Paul describes as… “Christ living in you, giving you the expectation of GLORY.”  With GLORY defined in Thayer’s Greek Definitions as “God’s GOOD and POSITIVE opinion of YOU.”

When the understanding of that verse hit me yesterday, I couldn’t help but to HOOP and HOLLAR and scribble in my notes “If that doesn’t give someone a reason to REJOICE always… then I don’t know what will!”

When Piper’s negative health diagnosis came to light, there were a few individuals, who in their personal pain for Piper’s situation, took out their anger on me and said some very hurtful words… but you know… although it surprised me and stung at the same time… their opinion of me didn’t really matter… because I KNEW through my intimate and deeply personal relationships with both my wife and my Lord… that they BOTH had good, positive, supportive and loving opinions of me! 

And it was THOSE OPINIONS that got me through the roughest of times during the last eight years of Piper’s life… and to be perfectly honest… It is STILL the important opinions that has gotten me through every day since she went home to be with the Lord!

So YEAH… I like FREE things!  I enjoyed the FREE things that my wife and I shared with each other… and likewise, through my intimate and personal relationship with the Lord, I continue to enjoy the FREE things that He regularly shows me during the time that we make for each other… each and every day... for His opinion is the one that is most important to me!

So… do you want some FREE things… Then I think that you know what you need to do!

Have a terrific weekend!  Our weather has been absolutely gorgeous this last week… and I am loving it!  Be blessed and enjoy the FREE things that God has for you… and then share that info with others around you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.