Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Saturday, September 9, 2023

As A Reminder...

Have I ever mentioned that my wife Piper was a very JOYFUL person?  Okay, Okay… I supposed that I have let that be known… more than just a few times.  I’d be tempted to say that I’ve probably said it “more than a thousand times” but I can hear my wife’s sweet and tender voice saying inside my head, “JIM! Don’t Exaggerate!”as I had been known to go a little over-the-top when telling a funny story…

But it is true… and she is one of the best examples that I know, of a person who truly lived the principles of her heart.  When she said something with that big, contagious smile on her face, there was never any doubt and or confusion as to what she said!  She also carefully chose the words that she used in order to best convey the love and encouragement that she was desiring to express.

I thought about that trait of hers this morning when reading from the Apostle Paul’s second epistle to the church in Corinth.  In the closing verses of the letter, he reminds and encourages his readers saying,

“Finally, brethren, BE JOYFUL, secure perfection of character, take courage, be of one mind, live in peace. And then God who gives love and peace will be with you. (2 Corinthians 13:11 – Weymouth)

A few of the other translations, including the King James Version, use the word “farewell” or “goodbye” in place of the term “BE JOYFUL.”  But I believe that this is an incorrect translation from the Greek.  In fact, all three of the literal translation Bibles that I have, translate Paul’s words as “REJOICE!”

I point this out so as to state that Paul, like my wife, was very precise in the words that he penned to the early Christian churches.  Over the years, I have heard different Bible teachers negate the powerful truth that Paul was expressing in his letters… and especially in the introduction and closing of them, by explaining that the choice of his words were simply general greetings, salutations or closing remarks… and not to be taken as anything else.

Both Peter and Jude along with Paul, told the readers of their epistles that it was important for them to,

 “remind you about what you already know,” *

and I believe that this is exactly what Paul was doing here, as well in the conclusion of many of his other letters to the churches.  As we discussed in our last blog post,** “BE JOYFUL” or “BE REJOICING” was a personal lifestyle choice of Paul’s and a major theme that is threaded throughout all of his epistles and is especially highlighted in the book of Philippians… which, once again, was written during one of the most difficult times in his life.

It makes perfect sense therefore, that Paul would want to take one last opportunity, at the conclusions of his letters, to remind the churches of what he termed in Philippians 4:12-13 as “THE SECRET” declaring,

“I know what it means to lack, and I know what it means to experience overwhelming abundance. For I’M TRAINED IN THE SECRET of overcoming all things, whether in fullness or in hunger. And I find that the strength of Christ’s explosive power (or in agreement with his theme for the entire epistle, one could insert ‘Christ’s explosive JOY’***) infuses me to conquer every difficulty.” (The Passion Translation) 

So, as you can see, Paul wasn’t one to waste his words.  And just as 2 Timothy 3:16-17 says that “All scripture is inspired by God and is beneficial…” he made sure that what was beneficial for us to know, was repeatedly stated in order for us to put it into current, active and daily usage in our lives!

So, what did he keep remining us?  And therefore…Do you know and live “THE SECRET” in your life?

Have a great weekend, and as you do… Keep BEing JOYFUL and keep EXPECTING God’s BEST… and then… let His BEST and your JOY ooze all over everyone around you!

 

*See: 2 Peter 1:12 / Jude 1:5 - God’s Word ©

**http://pjberruto.blogspot.com/2023/09/be-rejoicing.html

***Throughout the Bible there are comparisons make between the JOY of the Lord and His strength – for example: Nehemiah 8:10 / Romans 15:32

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.