Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, May 11, 2023

PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE!

Over the last few weeks, I have made the point to stop and enjoy… to really savor… that first sip of coffee in the quiet still of the early morning hour.  The cul-de-sac outside my study window is usually silent and although there may be a solitary golfer or two on the golf course beyond, it is normally just me, the dog lounging on the couch behind me and my freshly brewed, hot cup of java!

I’m not sure why, but that one moment, with that first sip of caffeinated, coffee bean flavor, just sort of centers me and sets my heart and soul aright for whatever flavors the fresh new day has in store for me.

When I quit my outside-of- the-home job to care for my wife in 2010, my entire life for the next eight years, centered around her and her ever-growing needs.  As I began to really experience the depth and detail of her physical, emotional and spiritual needs, I quickly realized the benefits of keeping us on a disciplined daily schedule. 

To be honest, it was the only way in which I could keep up my mental, physical and spiritual strength on a regular basis each week.  Amongst other things, I had promised her early on, that I would do my best to keep our life as normal as possible as her health deteriorated… and sticking to the schedule greatly aided my ability to honor that promise to her.

When she moved on to glory in 2018, I stuck with the same overall schedule, filling in other chores and activities in place of the daily care needs that I performed for Piper.  But I still get up and go to bed at the same time, and have stuck with a disciplined life-style.  Adhering to the schedule in her absence has helped to keep me focused, organized and grounded, as I’ve dealt with the shock, pain and stark reality of her absence in my life.

Lately though, I’ve come to understand the importance of stopping every-so-often throughout the day… and to smell the roses and enjoy a moment of rest, recreation, reflection and self-inventory… Point in casetaking the time to savor and enjoy that very first sip of coffee each and every morning.

This may sound a little weird… but since Piper’s passing, I have had to re-teach myself how to enjoy life… and while I’ve come a long way since 2018, I still have a long way to go.  It has been extremely difficult for me to view and fully experience the pleasures of life without the presence or mindset of my lovely wife being at my side.  It’s kind of like learning the mastery of a new skill in order to become proficient in any new endeavor.

In Philippians 4:9, the Apostle Paul encouraged his readers to,

“PRACTICE what you've learned and received from me, what you heard and saw me do. Then the God who gives this peace will be with you.” (God’s Word ©)

Every time I read this verse, I hear a little voice in my head saying “PRACTICE!  PRACTICE! PRACTICE!  I remember my parents telling me this when I was learning the multiplication tables back in elementary school… and back then… I hated it, every time they said it… But today… I am very happy that they made me PRACTICE, PRACTICE! and PRACTICE some more… until it stuck in my head and became second nature to me!

Paul’s basically telling us to take the time to repeatedly PRACTICE all that he’s taught us in the Word of God until we gain the mastery of the mechanics of our faith.  In 2 Corinthians 10:4 the Apostle informs us that,

“The weapons we use in our fight are not made by humans. Rather, they are powerful weapons from God.” (God’s Word ©)

And in Ephesians 6:12-18 he explains not only WHO we are actually fighting, but also HOW to wage a successful war.  Ephesians 6:12 teaches us,

“For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” (KJV)

In verses 13-16 he trains us to put on the complete armor of God as we stand against the spiritual forces that come against us in our lives and concludes by admonishing us saying,

“And take… the SWORD OF THE SPIRIT, which is THE WORD OF GOD.” (KJV)

So, when you put all these verses together… what is the lesson that Paul was stressing?  Well, it’s simple!  In no uncertain terms, he is coaching us to PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE… until we all master the mechanics of our faith.  And we do so through the ever-increasing depth of knowledge, understanding and application of the Word of God in our lives… until it becomes second nature to us!

I admit that I am still feeling a bit clumsy (and guilty!) when it comes to comfortably experiencing the mechanics of having fun and enjoying my life without the presence of my 48-year life partner… but starting with the enjoyment of that first sip of coffee in the morning each day… I aim to PRACTICE! PRACTICE! and PRACTICE some more until I get it… and it becomes natural to me!

How About You?

                                      

Have a good rest of your week, and as you do… keep EXPECTING God’s BEST while you PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE! your expertise of working the Word in your life every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.