Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Participation!

I had to giggle just a bit when Fiver and I walked past a golfer who had just hopped out of his golf cart this morning and was heading to his ball on the green.  He looked to be about my age and was dressed in the typical garb of Oklahoma men of my generation… shorts… cut about an inch or two above the knee and a golf/polo shirt… but that’s not the reason I smiled… it was because of the classic ‘70’s rock ‘n’ roll music that was blasting from the radio in the cart!

My silly laugh was due to the fact, that back in the day… when he and I were teenagers… that’s exactly what I used to do!  I remember putting my small stereo speakers in the window that faced our driveway and cranking up my tunes while I washed the car!  I don’t know that I ever considered the idea that I might be bothering the neighbors!  I was just lost in the moment, enjoying the vibes of the beat and most likely dreaming about my next date with my hot girlfriend Piper!

As we continued along the course on our walk, I stayed in my 1970’s state of mind and started laughing aloud when I thought of the posts that regularly pop up on my Facebook feed with pictures of teenage girls from that decade, leaning against a muscle car, dressed in a tight top, bell bottomed jeans or in a mini skirt and boots… with the saying “You grandmother is cooler than you might think… this is how she dressed when she was your age!”

I laughed and also shed a happy tear because it was exactly the way Piper dressed back then… as she and her friends leaned against her mom’s 1969 orange with black racing stripes, SS 396 Camaro in the school parking lot!  Hummmm… that may also explain why I was so oblivious to the world, lost in thought about her, when I washed my car!

We (as most of us have done) fully participated in the dress, cars, slang, music and vibe of our generation in high school.  It's just what youth do, right?  Granted there are those who take things to the extremes… on either side of the spectrum.  We all remember those who did their own thing apart from the majority of the crowd… some who tended to look and act like they came from a previous generation and those at the other end, who took the current trends into deviant places of rebellion.

Piper and I participated in many positive activities in high school, made lots of friends, had a great time and in doing so, never violated our personal moral values.  Contrary to some others, we had nothing but positive memories from our high school years… especially during our senior year when we started dating.

Our participation in the culture of the 1970’s is similar to what the Apostle Paul was talking about in I Corinthians1:9, when he used the term translated in many of our older Bible versions as “FELLOWSHIP.”   And don’t get me wrong… it is that… and MUCH MORE!

FELLOWSHIP is one of those old Greek words that has had its meaning change over the years since the 1611 version of the King James Bible.  The Oxford Online Dictionaries defines the modern English usage of this word as “A group of people meeting to preserve a shared interest or aim.”  But while the original Greek not only took in that particular sense, it also included the ideas of “partnership, joint participation and the share you have with someone else (ie; Jesus Christ) in all things.”*

Finis Dake describes “FELLOWSHIP” as “The communion and participation with Christ in His sufferings as well as in the gifts and graces of the Holy Spirit in this life and in the glories of the kingdom in the next life.”  Robertson’s Word Pictures explains that it is an “old word from ‘Koinéōnos,’ (meaning) partner for partnership and participation” and defines it as something intimate and considered to be “a high fellowship with Christ both here and in the hereafter.”

The Jamieson, Fausset and Brown Commentary says that it is, “to be fellow heirs with Christ, and like Him, sons of God and heirs of glory.”  And last but not least, The Preacher’s Complete Homiletical Commentary states it as, “Your common sharing in and with Him.”

Simply put… as Christians we have many, many blessings, responsibilities, benefits and advantages… just like Jesus has… that are currently and eternally available to us!  That may sound strange… or maybe even over the top to some of us… BUT IT IS TRUE!  As a CO-HEIR with Christ… right now and throughout eternity… those things are also available to both YOU and ME!  All we have to do is take advantage of them, learn what they are, how to use them and then step out of our comfort zones and step into the blessings of Joint Participation into the gifts and graces of God! 

There were a lot of events, responsibilities, activities as well as rights and privileges that we had as Seniors in good standing in high school… and Piper and I decided to jump in and participate.  Sure, at times it meant extra work and some late hours catching up on homework… but you know?  It was worth it!  We had many special and unique memories from our high school experience that made us glad that we had partnered up with some of our favorite teachers, sponsors and friends, in order to participate and enjoy a higher level of satisfaction back then… and it is the same way that we wanted to partner with and participate in our adult lives as CO-HEIRS with Christ.. and continue to today…both in the here now for me and continuing on for Piper as she has begun her new residence in eternity!

Have a spectacular week, and as you participate in the things of God… keep EXPECTING His BEST in all that you do!

PS: More to come on “FELLOWSHIP!”

 

*Strong’s and Thayer’s

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.