Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Sunday, August 14, 2022

Fellowship

I can’t help but to continue thinking about all the ADVENTURES that Piper and I embarked upon within the framework of our very active Christian faith over the 48 years that we were together… Of course… being as today would have been her 69th BirthdayI guess it is not too unusual for me to be reminiscing about our past.

Paul’s words to the church in Corinth about his ADVENTURES in the faith, really spoke to me in a very personal way.  Although it was written a couple of thousand years ago, in a land far, far away… I felt as if He was sitting on the couch in my study and specifically reminding me of how He got me started in all this… really unknown to meyears before I ever met my future bride in high school!  In I Corinthains 1:9 he wrote,

“God, who got me started in this spiritual ADVENTURE, continues to share with us the life of his Son and our Master Jesus. He will never give up on you. Never forget that.”  (MSG – personalized)

I can think of times as early as Kindergarten when I felt a special closeness to God, when He seemed to be personally introducing Himself to me.  I always felt a deep reverence and awe whenever I went into the sanctuary of the Catholic churches we attended.  At times it was almost like I wouldn’t dare speak because it felt so holy inside.

When Piper and I finally did get together and she introduced to a whole new world in the protestant church… and especially to the revelation knowledge that I could actually have a personal, close-knit and ADVENTUROUS relationship with Jesus Christ… just like she did… well, it seemed perfect and I jumped right in!  I’d NEVER seen or experienced anything like that before, but yet it felt so natural, so good and quite rewarding and fun!

The King James Version of I Corinthians 1:9 puts Paul’s words this way, saying that,

“God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the FELLOWSHIP of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.” 

The translators of this 1611 version used the word “FELLOWSHIP” in describing the “spiritual ADVENTURE that the modern paraphrased Message Bible talks about.  It is a term that I was not familiar with when I first started attending Piper’s American Baptist Church.  The word comes from the Greek word “koinōnia” and seemed to be a very common term in her church.  Amongst other uses, I believe it was the name that they gave to the church’s weekly, Thursday night potluck that preceded the mid-week service and classes.

Thayer’s Greek Definitions defines “koinōnia” as “fellowship, association, community, communion, or joint participation.”  Most of the members in the church simply explained it as “being like a family.”  And I have to say that Piper’s church was a very close knit, yet welcoming, loving, kind and giving group of people.  As I’ve mentioned before, Piper was well-known in the church and seemed to me… to be “The Little Darling” in most people’s eyes.  She had grown up in the church, was a part of a well-known family and seemed to be put into leadership roles since her elementary school days.

When I came along, I just sort of fell in step with her and quickly also became known by just about everyone.  Throughout the years that we were there and participated in church activities and leadership roles as youth ministers, deacons and in singing special songs during many of the various church celebrations and services, I always felt supported, loved and encouraged.

As we matured in our Christian faith, we began to hunger for even more of God and eventually left that church and moved into a lifelong participation in the Pentecostal, Word of Faith, protestant side of Christianity.  As we grew, we learned many more aspects of “koinōnia” that were not expressed at the Baptist church.

The 1906 S.Way translation* of Paul’s epistles states I Corinthians 1:9 as,

“True to His promise is God, He whose voice bade you to enter into

CO-HEIRSHIP” with His Son, Jesus the Messiah, our Lord.”

Now the idea of being in a CO-HEIRSHIP relationship with Jesus makes a very substantial addition to the meaning of the word “koinōnia” and to our roles, position and actions as Christians in our daily lives.  The word “HEIR” is described as “a person legally entitled to the property or rank of another on that person's death.”**

So, according to this verse… as a Christianwe are legally entitled to the property and rank that Jesus has inherited from His Father.   WHOA!  Let that sink in for a few moments… and when and where does that come into existence in our lives? 

Well, first of all… since Jesus suffered, died, was buried and then rose again from the dead and now sits at the right hand of God as the Executor of His will… it went into effect some 2000 years ago.  According to Jesus’ own words in Matthew 6:7-10, it is available to us RIGHT NOW and RIGHT HERE where you and I live TODAY!  He told His followers,

“But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.  Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.  After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.  Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.” 

And you know… that’s not the only other meaning that fully describes the role of “koinōnia” in the life of a believer… but that’s a lot to chew on!  I going to stop this post here and let you think about, meditate on and study these verses and the truths they are opening up to us. 

In the midst of Piper’s and my ADVENTURES in our faith, we witnessed countless miraculous events that defy worldly science, common thought and financial downturns.  Do you remember verses of scripture where Jesus discussed miraculous events and boldly stated things like, “With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible”*** orIf thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.”****

Have you considered (or been taught that) those statements are just storytelling or not active today?  Well… Matthew 9:6-10 and Hebrews 13:8 where it is declared that, “Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and forever,” would beg to differ with those incorrect assumptions!

The writer of Hebrews 4:12 always stirred up the excitement in Piper and I when we read that “God's word is living and active…”  Therefore, we believed in faith, acted in faith, and saw many signs and wonders that could only be described as the truth of God and His Word in action!  Can you say the same things?  Why not?

Stay tuned to our next few blogs for more information and revelation that just might revolutionize your life… and those you interact with wherever you go!

Have a great weekend, and as you do… Keep EXPECTING God’s BEST in your lives!

And... Happy Heavenly Birthday Piper!

 

*”The Letters of St Paul to Seven Churches and three Friends with the Letter to the Hebrews”  Arthur S. Way, MA – 2nd Edition 1906 – Copyright © BiblioLife, LLC

**Oxford Dictionary’s Online

***Matthew 19:26 

****Mark 9:23

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.