Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, February 17, 2022

Hot Air!

I was watching a news briefing the other day as I prepared my lunch and found myself pausing after a few minutes and wondering aloud… “Why is it that I just don’t believe a word that this individual is speaking?”  And then it dawned on me, that he has had a terrible track record of saying one thing… and then either not doing it… or have his plan completely fall apart as soon as it was implemented.  Do you know of anyone like that?

I was reminded of that particular news conference and couldn’t help but to burst out laughing, later in the day, when I happened to peruse James 1:26 from the Message paraphrase translation of the Bible, where it succinctly states,

“Anyone who sets himself up as ‘religious’ by talking a good game is self-deceived. This kind of religion is hot air and only hot air.”

Now I’m not saying that this individual or others currently in his high level of government responsibility are setting themselves up as being religious… but they most definitely are attempting to set themselves up as experts in the cabinet positions that they hold… but people across the country are beginning to regularly take notice and see the “HOT AIR” that tends to come from their lips! 

People who don’t take responsibility for their words tend to quickly lose their credibility around others… and believe you me… they are all around us. I’m sure we have all cringed in shock, unbelief or embarrassment when we have been in a gathering when someone unknowingly made a statement or off-handed comment that was totally inappropriate, hurtful or insensitive to someone else.  If you’re like me… it sends a shiver up my spine, as I have been on the receiving end of such comments… and it does not produce good vibes!

The King James Version of James 1:26 says,

“If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.” 

The original Greek word translated here as “bridleth” means “to curb, lead, guide or to hold in check, restrain or control.”  Describing one’s religion as being in “vain” conveys the idea of being “profitless, and/or devoid of force, truth, success and result.  It is as something worthless, of no purpose, fallacious, misleading, mis-informed, delusional and disappointing.” (Strong’s and Thayer’s)

Stop and think about all that for a moment!  James, the wisdom filled leader of the Christians in Jerusalem, of whom the original Apostles went to for direction on certain questions relating to the early church… is instructing us of the need to restrain, hold in check and control the things that come out of our mouths!  Then in no uncertain terms, he clearly defines the results and consequences of those who don’t put a guard on their words.

But is that even possible for us to do?  I don’t know about you… but I hear people all the time justifying their lack of self-control of the words they speak saying, “Well, that’s just me… or… get used to it, that’s just who I am and I can’t change.”  Then there are those who blame it on their ethnicity, saying things like, “I can’t control that… it’s just my Irish temper!” (I used to tell Piper when I would suddenly take hold of her hand and start kissing her up along her arm, that “It was the Italian, Latin lover in me!” & she’d laugh and say “JIM!” and then push me away… especially if the kids were in the room!)

Well… I personally believe that it is possible, particularly if you are a Christian... and I have scripture to prove it!  2 Corinthians 5:17 unequivocally declares that 

“Whoever is a believer in Christ is a new creation. The old way of living has disappeared. A new way of living has come into existence.” (God’s Word ©) 

So, when you became a new Believer, your spirit was born anew, the old things in you passed away and behold, all things became new inside of you.*  But it normally doesn’t just happen like the flip of a switch… although I have seen people immediately set free from addictions and bad habits the moment they surrendered their lives to the Lord…  Romans 12:2 teaches us to,

“Be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.” (KJV) 

And we renew our minds… and thereby our lives and lifestyle… by reading and studying the Word of God.  Paul told young Pastor Timothy in 2 Timothy 3:16-17 of the importance of the scriptures in people’s lives saying,

“Every Scripture passage is inspired by God. All of them are useful for teaching, pointing out errors, correcting people, and training them for a life that has God's approval.  They equip God's servants so that they are completely prepared to do good things.”  (God’s Word ©) 

And if that is not enough to convince you… 2 Timothy 1:7 confirms the above verses and encourages us to know that God has given us the tools that we need to be successful in life - when we put them to work and practice what we preach.  He taught that,

“God will never give you the spirit of fear, but the Holy Spirit who gives you mighty power, love, and self-control.  (The Passion Translation) 

So… if God says that we can have SELF-CONTROL… Then I believe Him! 

How about you?

NOW… doesn’t that excite you enough to put HIS Word to work in your life?  I sure hope so.  I want the actions in my life to match the words that I speak… and I am sure that you desire your words to do the same!

Have a great rest of the week.  Keep speaking and acting on His Word… and while you’re diligently working at it… Keep EXPECTING God’s best in your life!

 

*See the King James Version of 2 Corinthians 5:17 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.