Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, November 29, 2021

Respect

Respect

[rəˈspekt]

NOUN

1.     a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.

"the director had a lot of respect for Douglas as an actor"

synonyms:

esteem · regard · high regard · high opinion · acclaim · admiration · 

 

2.     due regard for the feelings, wishes, rights, or traditions of others.

"young people's lack of respect for their parents"

synonyms:

consideration · thoughtfulness · attentiveness · politeness · courtesy · civility · deference

 

When I sat down at my desk in my study early this morning, I recalled that I had a few more points that I wanted to continue with from yesterday’s Bible study time.  The temperature had gotten down to the low sixties in the house overnight, so I had turned on the heater, made a hot cup of coffee and settled down in the front room for a crisp beginning to my day!

I had originally chosen that room for my study because it faced the cul-de-sac and golf course and had the largest window in the house!  The window affords great views and lots of light… but unfortunately, also makes it to be the coldest room in the house during the winter months and oppositely, the warmest during the summer!  So, with that said, it is not unusual for me to wear a heavy hoodie as well as an insulated vest until the room warms up a bit in the morning… and today's hot cup of Caramel Pecan java also helped to make it quite civilized within a short period of time!

Once I was ready and settled into my chair, I grabbed Piper’s old “The Way” paperback Living Bible Illustrated from the filing cabinet to the left of my desk and read from where it was already opened in Psalm119:37-38 where the Psalmist prayed,

“Turn me away from wanting any other plan than Yours (O Lord).  Revive my heart toward You.  Continue to reassure me that Your promises are for me, for I trust and revere You.”

The word or idea of “revere” in this scripture caught my attention so I looked up the verses in my digital King James Bible that is keyed to multiple Hebrew/Greek dictionaries.  In this older translation (originally published in 1611) the word “fear” is used instead of “revere”.  In this Hebrew usage “fear” is defined as “the fear of God” in the manner of respect and reverence.” (Brown-Driver Briggs)  One of the Greek definitions of “fear” likened it to a portion of Paul’s discussion of the marriage relationship in Ephesians 5:33 where he taught the church saying,

“every husband must love his wife as he loves himself, and wives should respect their husbands.” (God’s Word ©)

Paul’s discussion in Ephesians about the marriage relationship is one of the most-often misunderstood teachings in the entire New Testament.  Many abuses in spousal interactions have occurred because people (mainly the husbands) will incorrectly emphasize certain parts of it while ignoring other vital instructions.  But you have to read the entire ten verse teaching that begins with Ephesians 5:22.  I have personally seen too many marriages where the husband runs the family like a tyrant without allowing for equal input from his wife.

It is sort of like the two-party system that we have in our American government.  The two parties are meant to work together in bringing to light their differing views and balance out each other’s stands and or beliefs, with the resulting legislation that best meets the needs of the people from all over our very diverse country.  When it works, it proves to the best form of government in the world… but when responsibilities get out-of-whack… like it is amongst the Democrats and Republicans today… the citizens of the country (ie; the family) suffers with an uncomfortable and unsuitable standard of living from coast to coast.

Ephesians 5:33 is the perfect summary of Paul’s teaching on the responsibilities of the husband and wife… and while I whole-heartedly agree that the husband has the ultimate responsibility to care for his wife and family… the key to a successful marriage is found in Ephesians 5:25 where Paul definitively declares that,

“Husbands, love your wives as Christ loved the church and gave his life for it.”  (God’s Word ©)

It is actually a pretty simple solution or direction to having a great marriage.  It may not always be easy to do… but if a husband loved his wife and ministered to her needs and concerns in the same manner as Christ does toward His church, then it would be a lot easier for the wife to honor and respect her husband and together flow in balance with each other through the ins and outs and the good times and the bad times in life!

I had to smile at Ephesians 5:33 this morning, in reminiscence of Piper’s and my very close relationship.  She most definitely respected me as her husband… as I likewise did toward her as my best friend and wife.  And we proved it by our words and actions towards each other… in public or private, in each other’s presence or not!

I also noticed as I looked up the different usages of “respect” throughout the Bible, that Jesus talked about it a lot!  It seems that “respect” is an important characteristic to Him.  Jesus taught about “respect” in reference to His Father God, in reference to our interactions with our fellow men and women, between children and their parents, as well as in reference to husbands and wives and with our bosses at work and in business dealings!

So, you can see that “respect” comes out in many different conversations, situations, sizes, shapes, words and actions!  It touches just about every facet of our lives.  With our spouses and loved ones, at church, at work and all-about town!  It also interacts with the way we talk and walk in our personal relationship to God… both publicly and privately!

I know that writing this post sure opened up my eyes when it came to some personal thoughts and actions of mine that might not always be respectful to my heavenly Father!

How about you? 

How would you rate yourself… your words, your thoughts and your actions when it comes to the RESPECT department of your daily life?  I would imagine that we all have some areas in which we might need to rearrange a few things!  Wouldn’t you agree?

Have a great week as we plunge full-force into the Holiday Season 2021!  …and as you do… keep expecting God’s best in your lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.