Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, November 1, 2021

Delectably Delicious!

I just returned from a quick trip to my close-by Neighborhood Walmart in order to pick up a few needed grocery items for my weekly consumption.  In case you might not be familiar with a Neighborhood Walmart, they are basically a very condensed version of a Super Walmart consisting of only the grocery section and pharmacy.  I kind of live in just the right spot, half way between a full-scale Super Walmart southeast of my home and the smaller Neighborhood Market a little closer, to the southwest of my sub-division. 

I think I have finally figured out how to shop for a single person.  The only tricky part for me though, was the fruits and vegetables.  They tend to only last about a week, so I have gotten myself into a rhythm of a major shopping run to the Super Walmart every couple of weeks and a fruits and vegetables run to the Neighborhood Market in-between!  The Super Walmart has a better selection and slightly better prices, but I can get all the veggies and fruits I like at the smaller store.

I’m not sure if it is because I am getting older or what… but I like the convenience of the smaller store with its smaller footprint.  It allows me to park closer, find what I need quicker and be in and out in a lot less time.  Although… I guess I’ve always kind of been that way by forgoing the larger, more crowed discount stores in my home town for the convenience… and subsequent higher price… of the stores closer to our home!

But Piper on the other hand, knew a bargain when she saw one and frequented the larger, less frills, warehouse grocery stores for her weekly shopping extravaganza for our family’s menus and household needs.  So, for her… a trip to Food-For-Less and later Food Maxx each week was no big deal.  I will say though, that she would also stop at the more upscale Raley’s located much closer to our home for those “in-between shopping” needs.

I have so many wonderful memories of us grocery shopping together.  She was usually all business when we walked through the big doors of Food Maxx.  She had a plan of attack, knew the layout of the store and put on her game face once she had her basket!  It was fun to watch her juke and weave around the crowed store, dodging other people’s carts and… with that big, warm and heart-melting smile… gently say “excuse me” and reach across someone in the produce section to grab something she needed!

Our stops at Raley’s were much more relaxed.  They had a rather nice little camping section in the drug store part of the business that we always enjoyed perusing on our infrequent visits.  She also relaxed and took the extra time to look at new products and especially at their organic and healthy foods sections.  In fact, it was there that she got me hooked on freshly ground peanut butter!

I had a vivid memory flash before me as I was self-checking out my items at Walmart this morning.  For a moment there, it was like I was standing at the self-checkout area at Food Maxx watching Piper do her magic at the register.  Luckily, I was by myself as I immediately teared up at the sweet remembrance of our past.

Piper and I had most definitely established a wonderful rhythm of life together.  Not to sound sappy or melodramatic, but we worked diligently to enjoy, have fun and love each other… pretty much every single day.  We just really enjoyed being together, whether it was with our family at home, in the yard, at the park, ministering at church or on a fun-filled family camping vacation.  And our two-night bi-yearly holidays alone were… well, to be honest… the highlight of each year we had as husband and wife!

The thoughts of that rhythm of life that we treasured together, came to the forefront of my mind when I was praying in the shower this morning.  I had previously been studying Ephesians 3:19 in my favorite God’s Word Translation where the Apostle Paul prayed for us, the church, confessing that, “You will know Christ's love, which goes far beyond any knowledge. I am praying this so that you may be completely filled with God.” 

As you well know from my previous writings, the word “know” in this old Greek usage is likened to having a deeply personal and intimate “knowing of” or relationship with your spouse. (Thayer’s)  And that deeply personal and intimate “knowing of” each other was most definitely at the core of Piper’s and my love for each other and held the baton for the directing of the orchestra from which flowed the rhythms of our life.

Likewise, I have firmly come to believe that the same should be said for the rhythms of our love life with God.  Piper and I drew the best out of each other, just as yours and my personal relationship with Jesus Christ should draw the best from each of us.

I think that the most difficult part of being separated from Piper over the last three years has been my stumbling around as I desperately try to find my new rhythm of life without her.  But my one salvation in all of my efforts, is that although she is not with me now… I am NOT alone.  Psalm 23:4 fortifies me in this regard by lovingly informing me that,

“The comfort of your love (Oh Lord), takes away my fear. I’ll never be lonely, for you are near.” (TPT)

And you know what?  YOU ARE NOT ALONE EITHER!  Because He is ever near to you as well!  I’ve often times heard it said that the Lord our God is closer to us than our next breath!  Think about that.  He is intimately close to us and desires that we also become intimately and deeply personal in our relationship with Him on a daily and moment by moment basis.

I can’t say that I mentally or audibly thought about or asked myself each day of how I was gonna love Piper that day.  It was something in my heart that I just did!  It was a spontaneous act of my commitment to her.  That is also the way that the Lord wants to inter-act with you and me on a daily basis!  And with it comes a peace and joy that is… as the candy commercial used to say...

“Indescribably Delicious!”

Yummmmm…. Doesn’t that sound Delectably Delicious?  That is the measure of a pretty delightful, wonderful and meaningful two-way relationship… wouldn’t ya say?

 

Have a great week, and as you do… Keep EXPECTING God’s best in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.