Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Saturday, June 26, 2021

The Night Sky

“God’s splendor is a tale that is told; his testament is written in the stars. Space itself speaks his story every day through the marvels of the heavens. His truth is on tour in the starry vault of the sky, showing his skill in creation’s craftsmanship. 

Each day gushes out its message to the next, night with night whispering its knowledge to all. 

Without a sound, without a word, without a voice being heard, 

Yet all the world can see its story. Everywhere its gospel is clearly read so all may know.”                  

                                                       Psalm 19:1-4  The Passion Translation 

I’ve developed a habit over the last year or so of watching the end of one opinion commentator’s daily show on the Fox News Channel and then the beginning monologue of the next show, while I tidy up the kitchen and living room, take the dog out for his final foray of the evening, and then head into the bedroom for the night.  Lately I have been incredibly amazed at many of the news clips that they show from the day’s political statements made by some of our highly intelligent leaders here in the USA.

Just like last night, when I stopped dead in my tracks and loudly declared, “Can’t they see how downright dumb they look when they make those stupid and actually false statements like that?  Who do they think that they are kidding?”  But then I sigh, because I think that I am pretty sure of the source of the comments and the “why’s” behind them.

I have to admit, that I REALLY had my eyes opened when Piper and I went through our final journey together in the latter years of her life.  I’ve told the story before… but I think that it is worth repeating… of how a client of mine… a sweet, older, but definitely opinionated and outspoken women said to me one day as I took a break from mowing her 2-acre spread… or was it rebuilding her deck or repairing the front fence or reroofing her two outdoor sheds… I don’t quite remember now as I did all kinds of work for her!

Piper and I had been back from attending Bible School in Oklahoma for a couple of years and I’d quit my job at The Home Depot and was gaining an income from my yard care business in order to be able to care for Piper at the same time.  On this particular day, Piper was home in the care of a friend and my client (who was a personal friend of Piper’s family) and I were talking about some of the difficulties that we were beginning to face with a group of individuals who thought that I should be doing things differently in the care of my wife.

Like I said earlier, she was very opinionated and suddenly turned toward me, shook her head and said, “You’re very naïve, when it comes to trusting other people!”  That statement hurt my pride and I immediately denied her statement thinking that I was a pretty astute individual when it came to trusting people’s character.

Well… over the coming months and years I shockingly came to realize just how RIGHT she was and how WRONG I was!  Let’s just say that we had many negative things happen, many mis-truths propagated and experienced unexpected abandonment from individuals that I would have sworn we’d never had seen that kind of behavior coming from.

But through it all, I have learned to understand how the overwhelming power of FEAR can sneak in and (in many cases) unknowingly change good people, causing them to believe and see things that are obviously incorrect and then say and do outrageous things that one would never conceive as possible.  And that is exactly what I see happening in our world today.

Psalm 19:1-4 artistically tells of the beauty of God’s creation that is clearly visible all around us.  In particular, it likens, or some even believe, tells the story of the gospel message through the constellations and other celestial bodies in the night sky.  I used to love to go out on the back deck, just before bedtime and spend a few moments staring up into the beauty of the heavens that seemed to encase our country home and property in North Carolina.

And most nights I’d laugh as I thought about how much I wished that Piper could have stood out there with me each night… and tell me (over and over again) the names of all the constellations that she’d learned and taught the kids in one of their homeschool classes.  For some reason, she was very proud of that knowledge and loved to share it with me.  She was in seventh heaven when we drove to the top of a mountain near our camp at Plumas Eureka State Park in the northeastern Sierras to do some star gazing late one evening while camping with the kids!  You would have thought that she was the guide on a special star tour that evening!

But my point is... that I don’t know how anyone can look at the beauty and intricacies plainly seen in the evening skies anywhere in the world… and deny that God exists!  Our scripture tells us that, “His truth is on tour in the starry vault of the sky, showing his skill in creation’s craftsmanship.”

I also have a difficult time seeing how intelligent people can see some of the real catastrophes that are present in our country and the governmental agenda that instigated the problems… and talk and act like either nothing unusual is happening… or even worse… declaring that their policies are making good progress… when the opposite is quite obvious!

What I have come to see through our personal experiences in Piper’s time of need… is that the same power that was working behind the scenes in our situation… is the exact same power that is working behind the scenes today… and that the players involved… have NO idea of what’s really happening to and through them!

2 Corinthians 4:4 tells us that “the god of this world has blinded the minds of those who don't believe. As a result, they don't see the light of the Good News about Christ's glory. It is Christ who is God's image.” (God’s Word ©)  Therefore they can’t see or acknowledge the falsity and/or fantasy of their beliefs and corresponding words and actions.

Romans 1:21-22 is a little more blunt in its explanation of what’s going on with those who refuse to believe the truth of God’s Word and see what’s actually wrong... as right.   Here Paul says, “Throughout human history the fingerprints of God were upon them, yet they refused to honor him as God or even be thankful for his kindness. Instead, they entertained corrupt and foolish thoughts about what God was like. This left them with nothing but misguided hearts, steeped in moral darkness.  Although claiming to be super-intelligent, they were (and still are) in fact shallow fools.” (The Passion Translation) 

So, I try not to get upset when I see and hear the different clips of the incorrect and dangerous policies that are being introduced not only in our nation, but also in most countries around the world.  I know the source and I thank God for His over-coming power.  I pray for the salvation of the unbeliever and that the eyes of all… including those who consider themselves to be a Christian… to be unblinded and opened to the wonderful truth and the freeing and loving will and ways of God.

& I bet that you do too!

Have a great weekend, and as you do… keep praying for your country and its leaders… and in EXPECTING God’s best for your life!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.