Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

The Future...


I’ve been getting out and about a little more often lately as Oklahoma is slowly opening up things again.  It is nice to see more cars on the roads and an increase in foot traffic with people out taking walks or doing some shopping.  Mind you now, it is nothing like before the pandemic hit, but I sense that people are beginning to feel more confident (myself included) to get out in the lovely spring weather that we are having.  This morning while driving out to the bank, I noticed more smiles on peoples faces than I had in weeks past.  There just seems to be a growing optimism that we are over the worst of this situation and slowly but surely getting back to some semblance of normal again.

Finding some semblance of normalcy is kind of where I have been since the initial shock of Piper’s passing wore off and I began to take a serious look toward a future without her.  I was sharing some of this yesterday in the produce aisle at my local Super Walmart with a fellow shopper with whom I had struck up a conversation.  I had noticed earlier that she was wearing a hoodie that said “North Bay Imaging” written on the back.  So, when she came walking past me while I was bagging some fresh broccoli, I just had to excuse myself and ask her what “North Bay” the advertisement on her sweater was talking about.  Well, she broke into a big smile and said “Northern California!” 

Well, as you can imagine, that led to a long and interesting conversation.  I found out that she and her husband lived in Vacaville and are now in the process of moving to a little town not too distant from Broken Arrow.  Turns out that they are Christians and are enjoying the receptive environment here in Oklahoma that is quite different from what they were used to in California.  She enquired about my story and then asked what I was doing now, to which I replied, “Well, to be honest, I guess I am just trying to find myself!”  Her immediate reply was that I was in good hands with my faith in the Lord and was assured that He has a perfect plan for me.

I am not sure about what you may think about that comment, but I love it when people respond to difficult situations with an instant boost of peace, joy and confident expectation in the God, Who is bigger, stronger and wiser than anything we may be faced with in life.  I was thinking about that conversation and could only emphatically nod my head and smile this morning, as I have been blessed throughout my adult life to see the miraculous power and intervention of God repeatedly occur in almost every kind of situation!  It is something that I have come to expect and yet always find myself at awe when it happens.

Psalm 23:6 in The Voice translation declares, “Certainly Your faithful protection and loving provision will pursue me where I go, always, everywhere.”  I had to pause after reading this verse this morning and reflect on the revelation that many of the writers of the books in the Bible, thinking in particular of David and Paul, wrote with an adamant certainty concerning the faithfulness of God.  These were two men who had their own troubles in life, may not have always made the right decisions and fought some very cardinal thoughts at times, but yet loved the Lord with all their hearts, continually humbled themselves under the mighty hand of God and were overwhelmed throughout their lives, with the overflowing grace of God.

I can attest to those same things in my own life.  These two men struggled with things in life just like me, but yet God knew their hearts and continually pursued them, was always there when they needed Him, and when they tripped up, lent a strong arm to help steady them.  I too have felt that strong arm helping to steady me.  I bet most of you have had the same experience.  I am not sure why, but this last week has been very emotional for me.  I wrote down in my notes the other morning that “I am fiercely and emotionally missing my Piper today…”  It hasn’t been a time of breakdowns and tears, but I have definitely felt that pain in my heart that comes about when I think of her not being next to me as I walk the dog or drive to the store or strongly wish that she could once again cuddle with me on the couch while watching some stupid movie on TV!

But it is weird… I guess one could say, for at the same time, I clearly hear His small-still voice reassuring me that everything is okay, that His plan for me is on track and that my job is to keep believing, to keep doing what I need to do and NOT try to figure any of it out within my own understanding!  (See: Proverbs 3:5-6) 

As I was walking Fiver along the perimeter of the beautiful green golf course next to our neighborhood earlier today, I contemplated (like I have many times since her homegoing) just how well Piper and I did in living our faith, raising our kids and being a positive force in the churches we served in as well as in the communities where we lived, worked and played.   Without too much deep thought, I responded aloud that I can honestly report that I believe that we always strived to do our best by living out our faith in and through our lives, to the best of our abilities, with the current information and knowledge we had at any given time.

And you know… Piper may have crossed through the veil and I am left here without out her, but the course of life that we chose to live hasn’t changed one bit!  My faith and my direction in life is still based on His Word and His directions for me.  Therefore, like David, I can still say without a doubt that, “Certainly Your faithful protection and loving provision will pursue me where I go, always, everywhere.” 

The Passion Translation prefaces this concluding verse to the 23rd Psalm by declaring: “So why would I fear the future...” and then ends it with the comforting thought that, “Then afterward, when my life is through, I’ll return to Your glorious presence to be forever with You!”   I like the way this translation puts it… for anyway I look at it, my future is a win, win situation!  I am blessed with His presence in my life here and now, and then will be blessed living for eternity in His presence, as a part of His life in heaven… oh yeah… and with Piper as well!

I hope you enjoy the rest of your week!  I’ve got some tomatoes and basil to plant and am looking forward to a spring and summer filled with landscaping plans for my backyard!  Be blessed with the knowledge and expectation that He is pursuing you today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.