Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, May 1, 2020

Crises Management


I could only shake my head last night as I laid in bed and caught the beginning monologue of a talk show host whose perspective on American politics closely align with my own personal beliefs.  She began by talking about all the divergent views that are out there concerning the validity of the public use of masks.  Then she moved on to the differing reasons why some states are beginning to open up while others are not.  Many of the various clips that she showed demonstrated how a large number of health professionals, leaders in our government and news personalities have vacillated back and forth in their vehement statements concerning much of the information that is coming out concerning the Corona Virus.

I can’t help but cringe with disbelief at the comments and actions that have been taken by some of our federal and state leaders.  It looks obvious to me that a few of these individuals seem to posses very little skills when it comes to Crises Management.  I hear terms like “facts” and “science” being tossed around, but don’t always see courses of actions that are based on those two guiding-lights.  I see two contrasting concepts of thoughts coming to light.  One that basically says that people are stupid and need to be controlled by those who know best in government, and the other oppositely declaring that people are smart and can figure things out when presented with all the facts and information available at the time.

As Christians, I believe we have a third concept of thought that we must factor in to any decisions we make.  It centers around the truth in God’s Word.  For example… When Piper and I received the first negative test results from her original three bran scans taken in the summer of 2007, we had an important decision to make.  We had to choose between whose word we were going to use as the guiding light for every current and future decision we would need to make throughout the years to come.

And as I’ve written on many occasions, it was a NO-BRAINER for us.  At that moment, for that decision, it was like we’d been training and preparing for that important resolution all of our adult lives!  Without a second thought, we placed our faith, our hopes, our expectations and Piper’s very life into the hands of God and the truth of His word.  From that point on, that singlemindedness, determination and commitment was the foundation and beacon of light that guided our every course of action, every medication and every decision we would need to make.  I recently came across a new translation of Proverbs 3:5 that clearly states exactly what we did saying: “Trust in the Lord completely, and do not rely on your own opinions. With all your heart rely on him to guide you, and he will lead you in every decision you make.” (The Passion Translation)

The first time I read this translation, I had to pause and add the word “PERIOD!” after the initial five words of the verse!  “TRUST IN THE LORD COMPLETELY  To me that just about said it all.  It was all that mattered to us.  But we also learned pretty early on in the journey that we were embarking on, that it was important to not only NOT rely on your own opinions but also of those of others (who feel like it is their God-given right to share all their wisdom with you) that is contrary to what the Word of God and the leading of the Holy Spirit is telling you.

I’m seeing that what we learned and experienced back then is also very apropos to what we are all dealing with now concerning the Corona Virus.  With all the various viewpoints and differing opinions of what is right to do or not to do… as Christians, we need to make some personal decisions.  Like with Piper and I, our first and foremost commitment should be to use the Word of God and the leading of the Holy Spirit (which is ALWAYS in line with the Word) as our guiding light and/or beacon to guide us in the course of action we choose to take on a daily basis while this crises is here.  I guess you could say that this is to be our first step of Crises Management in any and all situations that we have to deal with!

After Piper and I made that foundational decision back in 2007, I began to pour over every scientific study, report, article and idea, no matter how fact based or far-fetched it was in order to find out all I could about Alzheimer’s.  I wanted to know EXACTLY what we were facing, all the alternatives and be able to carry on intelligent conversations with the various medical professionals we worked with along the way.  Then with all that information, we/I would make all the decisions that we needed to make using the beacon of the Word as our guide.

The same is true today.  I firmly believe that a born-again, spirit filled, well informed Christian, who is in active fellowship with the Lord, will always have more common-sense and make better, more well-rounded decisions than the intellectual who depends strictly on the scientific facts that they base their trust in.

Psalm 23:1-3 tells us that “The Lord is my best friend and my shepherd… He offers a resting place for me in his luxurious love. His tracks take me to an oasis of peace, the quiet brook of bliss.  (and) That’s where he restores and revives my life.”  I like to be in His resting place, in His oasis of peace for it is where He can restore and revive me in the midst of a crisis situation like the Corona Virus.  Philippians 4:6-7 also informs us that it is within that place of His peace that we are able to receive the answers to successfully manage the crisis’s around us. 

Here Paul declared: “Don’t be pulled in different directions or worried about a thing. Be saturated in prayer throughout each day, offering your faith-filled requests before God with overflowing gratitude. Tell him every detail of your life, then God’s wonderful (place of) peace that transcends human understanding, will make the answers known to you through Jesus Christ.” (both – The Passion Translation)

With His Word on the subject, your research on the physical factors involved and in the place of His peace, you’ll always get the answers you need and can walk the course of action you’re led to follow with peace, security and joy!  Give it a try… it’s always worked for me and I expect that it will do the same for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.