Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, April 15, 2019

Working At It!


Whew!  Last night was a wild whirlwind of heavy rains, thunder, lightning and tornado watches!  I was awoken around 1:00 AM with rain pelting against our bedroom window and thunder booming overhead!  So, I got up and looked out some of the windows both front and back and everything around us (ie; trees!) was still hanging in there… swaying like crazy… but staying anchored!  Which is exactly what I was “working at” by keeping my trust and peace… firmly anchored in God’s care and protection over us and the rest of our neighborhood.

I said “working at” because in the midst of the rumble, it was something that I had to stay focused on…  Especially when the severe weather alarm went off on my phone app about a half hour later warning about flash flooding in our area.  And while we live in a location that is not subject to flooding, it still got me to contemplate what else was going to hit us that night!  Things finally calmed down around 2:00 AM and I was able to fall asleep for a few hours.

After I got up for the day at 7:22 AM (I happened to glance at the clock as I swung my feet over the side!) I noticed on my phone that the National Weather Service had extended the tornado watch from 2:00 to 3:45 AM.  I kind of laughed when I read that and told the dog who was waiting patiently to go outside, that I’m glad I slept through that alert!

I always habitually pray over us and our family, our property, our neighborhood and our county every night when I go to bed.  But on night’s like last night when strong storms are highlighting the forecast, I tend to be a little more diligent and purposeful in my prayers.  Does that make sense?  It’s not that my regular prayers aren’t meaningful, but the threat of severe weather seems to warrant a bit more “oomph!” in my evening communications with the Father.

But the real test of your “oomph” or sincerity comes when the dark clouds let loose and send forth their full fury of everything they’ve got!  So, what do you do then?  Well… for me, it is always a good time to take a personal inventory and see just how much I actually trust God or not.  On many past occasions and again last night, I have sensed the Lord reminding me that I had put my trust in Him… and NOW was my time to prove it to Him… as well as to me!

So, that’s when the “working at it” comes into play!  Last night after my second round of checking out the windows, I finally laid down, clasped my hands over my chest and simply began to thank the Lord for His protection… the very protection I had prayed for when things were calm about three hours before the current storm blew in.  And even as the lightening flashed outside the window and the house shook from the boom of the closely following thunder with the rain beating on the window, I continued to focus on His lovingkindness and promises of protection!

Then the uncanny occurred.  With everything outlandish going on around us in that bedroom last night, I had a wave of His peace flow over me and then the rest was soon to follow!

So… like I’ve been known to say… “This faith stuff… this trusting in the peace, protection and love of God stuff, really works!”

I’m not sure why I wrote all this today!  It wasn’t at all what I had planned to talk about, but it just sort of came out as I sat down at my keyboard… So, it must be special for some of you who read this post today!  If you find yourself anxious, worried or overly concerned about anything in your life today, I would suggest a few moments in prayer with the Father and a look at and personal confession of Philippians 4:7-9:

“Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and petition, along with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, shall guard your hearts and your thoughts in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers (& sisters), as many things as are true, as many as are honorable, as many as are just, as many as are pure, as many as are lovely--if there is any virtue and if there is any praise--meditate on these things.  The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, practice these things; and the God of peace shall be with you.”  (EMTV)

Then… well then… you “work at it” by continually thanking God for the peace, love and protection that He is providing for you right now… in the midst of whatever you’re going through or dealing with.

Have a great week!  I look forward to hearing about your good reports!  And in the meantime, say with me… “I am expecting God’s peace, protection and love to surround me today!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.