Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

A Different ATTITUDE (practical faith pt 5)


Today was one of those mornings that just started out weird!  Have you ever had a day begin like that?  I didn’t sleep well last night and got up on numerous occasions.  After having some strange dreams, I woke up again around 5:30 AM with a headache and proceeded to twist and turn until I finally gave up at 7:15, tossed my feet over the side of the bed, almost tripped over the dog and stumbled into the bathroom…  But after a trip outside with the pooch in tow, a hot shower, a cup of coffee and my Bible study, things began to improve.  I’m sure that the coffee helps, but there is nothing like a shot in the arm of God’s Word to energize, stabilize and lift one up in the morning!

From there I went back into the kitchen to get Fiver’s and my breakfasts ready.  I opened the freezer and took out a bag of breakfast sausage and began a search for the kitchen scissors, which for the second time this week had gone missing.  As the previous frustration that I had felt earlier in the morning began to creep back in, I stopped moving for a moment and asked the Lord where I’d left the scissors… again.  And within a flash something on the inside directed me to look on top of the refrigerator… where I set them down after slicing open the wrapping on a six pack of sparkling water that I had set up there.

And sure enough… there they were… in the exact place I found them the last time I lost them!  Well, that was enough to break the dam and I burst out laughing at my silliness and for the goodness of God Who is even concerned about the little things in our lives.

That incident got me to thinking about how good God had and continues to be in mine and Piper’s life and now with me alone.  I thought about ALL the blessings He bestowed on us in the midst of the roughest patch in our lives.  The great places we lived in over the last 11 years… okay… maybe not the duplex we lived in during the last year in Oklahoma… the medical support we had, the cars we owned, the wisdom He poured down on me in some pretty tricky situations, the new friends we made, and the finances to not only get everything Piper needed, but the best of said equipment, clothing, special diet needs, medicine and overall care.  Then I had to pause for a moment as I thought, “You know?  We expected all that…”

Does that statement sound improper, snooty, sacrilegious or prideful to you?  Well. Let me explain what I mean!  We expected God’s best for us before we ever returned home from Oklahoma.  At that time, we had absolutely no idea of what that was, but we knew that it would unfold before us as we stayed true to His Word and personal directions to us.  Let me put it another way… by the time we left Oklahoma we were power packed in the Word and could see no other alternative than God’s way for Piper’s needs.

You could say that when we hit the runway at the International Airport in Sacramento California (where our son worked)… that we had an ATTITUDE!  We had an ATTITUDE that was solely focused on God, His Word and His way.  And to be perfectly honest, anyone who tried to shift our focus from that point on… lost before they ever spoke a word!

When we drove through a nice park-like housing community not too far from either of our folks homes a few weeks later, all Piper and I could see was the blessing of God working for us.  I believe that it was on a Monday or Tuesday when we first drove through the grassy, tree lined neighborhood complete with paved walking trails that led to various picnic and play areas, a community garden as well as a quaint little lake near the recreation center with its two pools and jacuzzi… and by Friday we had signed the lease and moved in the following week.

When we looked upon our new home, all we could see was God’s hand at work.  We came, saw, prayed and moved in with the unshakable confidence and peace that “my God will supply all your need according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:19 EMTV)  There were others that almost immediately saw our move with a different ATTITUDE.  While we were solely focused on the promises of God and His ability and love for us to fulfill those promises (which didn’t preclude the planning of our finances accordingly… for we believe in doing the natural part as well as the spiritual), they seemed to be overly focused on the financial arena.

But you know?  This neighborhood had it all.  Everything we needed and could have hoped for.  It was beautiful and well planned which enabled us to take daily walks and unwind from all the stress and tension that was surrounding us during those first pivotal years of Piper's sickness.  It was safe for Piper when I was at work, and we were surrounded by friendly, helpful neighbors… not to mention that the owner’s wife was a retired nurse who told me to call her if we ever needed help with Piper!

It reminded me of the Lord’s comments about His servant Caleb as the Israelites were about to enter the promised land when He stated: “But because my servant Caleb has a different attitude and has wholeheartedly followed me, I'll bring him to the land he already explored. His descendants will possess it.” (Numbers 14:24 God’s Word ©)

Joshua and Caleb secretly went into the land that God had promised their people along with 10 other spies and they all saw the same sights… But those two had a “different ATTITUDE” than the others.  All they could see was the blessings of God, His abilities, His overpowering strength and His hand at work in their lives, while the others only saw the imposing size and strength of those who inhabited the land.  Guess who made it into the promised land and who didn’t…

We’ll go a little deeper into this verse next time, but until then… Let me ask you a question: “What is your ATTITUDE?”  Have a great rest of the week, and as you do, continue to say with me… “I have an ATTITUDE of expectation in the promises of God working for me!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.