Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

What Happens if THEY get into Office?



Earlier this summer I noticed some moss growing on the sides of the house in the back and the northeast facing side.  My immediate thought brought me back to my childhood when I remembered my Dad grabbing a bucket and cloth and physically washing down the sides of our house each summer.  Now that house was a lot bigger than our current abode, so I figured that I could do the same and added it to my “To Do List” of summer activities.  But as the summer went on it seemed to slip lower and lower in priority.  

Then I had the revelation that I could simply rent a power washer and do it faster and most likely much easier!  Well, summer came and went and the moss on the house looked like it had greatly multiplied since my first observations of it!  All of a sudden it seemed as though it was the only thing I saw when I looked at the house.  

And when I thought I could stand it no more, I went online to get some ideas of what it would cost to have someone come out and do it for me.  I let a few more days pass and then I finally gave in on Friday evening and went online to Home Advisor, filled out a quick form expecting to get some calls on Monday... but boy, was I surprised!  Within five minutes (NO KIDDING) I received three calls from qualified businesses.

So to make a long story short, I set up an appointment for yesterday and the young man came, sprayed down the house and it looks like I just got the house painted… and the funny thing is that it cost hardly anything to have it professionally cleaned!  Why did I wait so long?

I thought about that example this morning as I reviewed some of my Bible study notes from this last weekend. I had been thinking about the presidential race that has been the scourge of the headlines for the past year or so and was beginning to get heavily concerned about the real possibility that we could actually get an individual into office who seems to be anti-most of the ideals that my family and I adhere to as the foundation of our Christian faith. 

But then… then, I read God’s eternal promise to His children on this earth and suddenly all those mis-guided concerns seemed to melt away in that “peace of God that passeth all understanding.” (Philippians 4:7 KJV)  Early Sunday morning I felt led to read from the first chapter of the gospel of John and found myself concentrating on verses four and five where the Apostle of love explains what I would consider to be the final word on the subject saying: “Jesus was (and is) the source of life, and that life is the light for humanity.  That light shines in the dark and the dark has never (nor will ever be able to) extinguish it.” (God’s Word ©)

The Amplified Version of verse five further defines that thought by expanding the idea with the added descriptions “… and the light shines on in the darkness, for the darkness has never over powered it (put it out or absorbed it or appropriated it, and is unreceptive to it.)” 

When I read that, it was as if the Lord spoke to me through His Word by telling me to expect unbelievers in this world to NOT understand the gospel message!  2 Corinthians 4:4 explains that “the god of this world has blinded the eyes of those who don’t believe.  As a result, they don’t see the light of the Good News about Christ’s glory.” (God’s Word ©)

So you know… No matter who wins this election, no matter who is in charge, we Christians do not have to be anxious because the bottom line is, that God’s Good News will NEVER be extinguished!  Sure there may be some tough times… but guess who gets the final word!

Therefore I’m choosing to be at peace, to not allow myself to get anxious by what I see happening around me… but to keep my expectations glued on the truth of Papa God and His Word of peace!  What do you think about that?  Are you going to keep looking at the problem and allow it to loom larger and larger in your eyes… like I did all summer with the moss on the sides of our house?  Or are you going to take God’s quick, easy and inexpensive solution?  I tell ya... you'll find yourself asking: "Why did I wait so long?"

Have a great week, and as you do keep asking yourself… “Who am I expecting to hold the keys to my peace today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.