Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Saturday, June 4, 2016

Is It Our Responsibility?



I was studying in Colossians three this morning where Paul describes our salvation experience and current legal position seated in Christ at the right hand of God the Father.  He said, “If (or better translated ‘since’) you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God.  Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth, for you died, and your life has been hidden with Christ in God.” (Colossians 3:1-3 EMTV)  Then in reference to that truth my commentary made an eye popping statement declaring: “Now, in view of our wonderful identification, we have a responsibility to seek those things which are above.” (Be Complete, A Commentary on Colossians, Warren W. Wiersbe, page 115)

If you take a quick peek at the Greek meaning of the word “seek” in verse one, you will discover that it is a very active, aggressive action or stance that we are to take.  So, according to this portion of scripture, not only is it just a good idea for us follow, but a God given responsibility to do so!  That puts a whole different light on my walk of faith.  It seems pretty clear that Papa God wants us to aggressively seek His will as found through His Word and in prayer.

A literal translation of Colossians 3:2 explains that we should “Habitually set your mind – your attention – on things above, not on things on the earth.”  In other words, “our feet must be on the earth, but our minds must be in heaven, which means that the practical everyday affairs of life get their direction from Christ in heaven.  We look at earth from heaven’s point of view.” (ibid – Be Complete)

For some reason this truth immediately brought up memories of my wife’s response to so many different people throughout the years of our relationship where she refused to give up on friends and family who were hanging onto the ledge of depression and about to let go of their faith!  Those who know her know that she always brought “light” into just about every room she walked into.  If you were about give up on your faith she would bring to you the “light” and “life” of God’s Word.  And while she understood that in most situations she could not be in faith for the other individual, she understood her responsibility to flood them with the Word of Faith in order to help boost where they were lacking.

I shared this numerous times with my father-in-law in the months before his home-going for I KNEW exactly how Piper would have responded to him if she was in her right mind.  She would have NEVER given up and continually found different ways to bring the joy of the Word of Life to him while in the throes of the darkest of times.

She may not verbally speak a lot right now, but I regularly hear her voice of scriptural encouragement inside of me whenever I find myself fighting off doubt and unbelief as we stand in faith for her healing.  Those vivid memories of her sharing the Word with me or our kids, or her humorous but strong rebuke whenever I would say something opposite or in doubt to our faith declaring: “Jim, that’s your confession and I believe every word of it!” would INSTANTLY get me to laughing and HIT THE BRAKES so I could get back on the faith track!

She KNEW her responsibility that Paul is talking about in the beginning of Colossians.  Do you?  Do you understand how important it is for us to stand in the face of the darkness that may prevail in someone’s life and boldly declare the Word of Life to them?  I’ve learned over the last six or seven years that this is the ONLY way that my wife and I can… and will complete all that Papa God has planned for us for the next thirty to forty years of our lives together!  She NEVER gave up on me or others in needful situations… and I am NOT about to give up on her!

Think about that the next time you come in contact with a friend or family member that needs some spiritual life… and as you do, ask yourself…”Am I expecting to BOLDLY share the Word of Life with those in need around me today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.