Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, April 11, 2014

Out With the Sheep...


In the mid-eighties, my wife, and I purchased our first home a few miles north of town.  And even though we homeschooled our children, we still made regular, if not almost daily, trips into town for my work, church, shopping or for school activities for the kids.  We discovered that the fastest, most uncongested route was the old winding road that paralleled the four lane highway.  In those days there was a large sheep ranch that encompassed the rolling hills along the way.  Like most open lands in our county today though, it is now a vineyard!
Throughout the year we would take notice of the sheep that fed on the grassy fields.  The best time of year was when the lambs gave birth to their young.  During this period of time the owner of the ranch would practically live on the hillside with his flock.  At night you would see him assisting the birth process of his ewes by the yellow glow of a portable lantern.  We would always be touched with the dedication and concern he demonstrated toward his flock.  The owner looked to be an older man, but did not let that stop him from being there for his sheep.
Jesus compared Himself to that of a good shepherd.  In John 10:11 He declared “I am the good shepherd; a good shepherd lays down his own life for the sheep.” (Moffatt)  Like the old man who did whatever was needed, whenever the time, day or night, warm or cold, rainy or dry, he was out with his sheep when needed, on that drafty hillside on the way to our hometown, Jesus said that He would even go as far as to give His life for His flock.  As I read this today I was quickly reminded of when Jesus also said that we would do even greater works than He did. (See John 14:12)
But as I thought about it, I realized that He wasn’t necessarily calling all of us to give the ultimate sacrifice as He did, but instead to give of ourselves, of our lives to the needs of others.  To let go of our own opinions, of our own ways, and of our busy, seemingly all important schedules and take the time to assist others when they run into a tough time.  I also realized that this morning, Jesus was preaching to the choir… mainly me!
Yeah, we have had a few folks that, shall we say, have not been part of the solution for us, but instead, have been a major part of the problem, but how am I to respond when they have a need?  Suddenly things have turned and they are hurting.  Do I respond in kind, turn around and quietly snicker with glee?  NO!  It’s time to do the GOOD thing and reach out and assist where and however I can.  Is it an easy task?  I think it will be as easy as I tend to make it!  If I do it through a veil of unforgiveness and distrust, yes it will be hard.  But on the other hand, if I proceed under the covering of Christ’s love and forgiveness, the going should be relatively smooth, and more acceptable to those in need.
And when push comes to shove… that’s what I really want!  I want His way, His answer, and His love to prevail!  What would you do?  When does it become the right time to grow up and accept your responsibility as a member of the Good Shepherd’s family?  For me…There’s no better time than the present!  Have a terrific weekend.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What or Whom am I expecting today?”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.