Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Bright Morning Skies!


Have you ever had your attitude changed in the flash of a moment because of something you heard or saw?  I had that experience this morning soon after I had gotten up for the day.  I had awoken a little earlier than I really wanted to and rolled over on my back and to think and pray for a while.  I considered what I had to face today.  Yesterday it felt like I had spent the majority of my day in North Carolina! 
I started out by reviewing the “move in to do list” that the Leasing Consultant from our new luxury apartment had emailed me about a month ago.  Then I contacted the Duke Energy Progress Company in Raleigh to arrange for our gas and electric service there.  Once that was established I went on to the next item on the list and had a nice conversation with an agent at the Homesite Homeowners Insurance Program who represents Esurance for their Renter’s Insurance Plans.  I wanted to make sure that we had the correct plan that covered the personal liability requirements of the apartment complex.
At one point during our sometimes humorous discussion, the young lady paused and hesitantly said that she had to ask me the following question only because we are moving to North Carolina.  I said okay and she proceeded to apparently read from a prewritten script saying: “since you have a dog, do you keep any poisonous snakes, reptiles or alligators in your home?...”  And then the line went silent!  I burst out laughing when I realized that she was serious and proclaimed, “Geez, what am I getting into!”  She swore that she was only repeating what her paperwork stated and that they only ask that question for residents of North Carolina!  Later in the day I text my daughter who lives there and asked if she had seen any of those critters around her home lately.  She replied that they have only seen one snake over the past five years, but no alligators!
Anyway, after I got my composure back I got in touch with our Leasing Coordinator and she was able to clarify some of my questions about our new home and finalize all our paperwork.  She also assured me that she could give the keys to my daughter so that we can go right to the apartment when we arrive there on the 13th of next month around midnight.  When all of that was complete we did a walk through with the owners of our current residence in preparation for the move.
So… when I finally got up today I was a little relieved that I could spend this day working on tasks that pertained to California and not on the East Coast!  After I dressed I proceeded into the living room and kitchen area kind of in a fog as I was contemplating all I had to accomplish.  We have had typical spring weather here for about a week with the ocean fog in the morning that usually burns off before noon.  But I was totally taken by surprise as I opened the vertical blinds on the slider that leads to our living room patio.  When the slats cracked open I was not greeted by the fog but instead by a deep blue and bright sky!
That’s the moment my attitude instantly changed from the blah’s to joy!  It was like someone flipped a switch inside of me.  Suddenly I found myself excited about the day and looked forward to going outside in order to complete some of our shopping tasks later today.  Everything looked exciting instead of drab.  When I took my hot cup of “Dunkin’ Donuts” dark brew coffee down the hall and glanced into our room at my wife still asleep in the bed, I had renewed faith for her total and complete healing.  Then as I read the Word in my study next door, I was filled with even more faith when I considered Paul’s words in Romans 10:17 where he taught us that “faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of Christ.” (1965 Bible in Basic English)
After spending a little time in John, I felt the urge to move on to the back of my bible and glanced once more at Revelation 22:16-17.  Here Jesus tells us that “I am the root and descendant of David.  I am the bright morning star… Come!  Let those who hear this say ‘Come!’  Let those who are thirsty come!  Let those who want the water of life take it as a gift.” (God’s Word ©)  These verses seemed to completely capture the sudden splash of joy and expectation that I had experienced when I opened the blinds a few moments before. 
As the blue sky beckoned me to enter into His joy and the great expectations of His Word working for, in and through me today, this portion of Scripture also beckoned me to step out into His bright and promising hopefulness!  When Jesus encouraged us to “take it as a gift” He was implying that we should “claim for our self of that which when taken is not let go.” (Thayer’s)
And that is exactly what I did when I peeked out at that beautiful, bright morning.  I decided right then and there to not let go of what He had just given me.  To hold on tight and enjoy the expectations that suddenly overtook my attitude.  And the same can be said about my expectations of His Word.  I’m not going to let go of His promises, and of what He has already provided for me according to the truth of His written Word.  How about you?  I suggest that you grab it and hold on tight!  Have a great and encouraging day today.  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What or Whom am I expecting today?”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.