Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

"The Standard of the World!"

I have always been a car enthusiast.  From my childhood days with my extensive Matchbox collection (before the days of Hot Wheels!) when each miniature die cast model came in its own little red box*, to HO slot cars, to scale model 1960’s and 70’s Muscle cars, to the real things in our driveway, I’ve always been captivated by hot automobiles! 

Over the years I think the only vehicle we ever bought where the deciding feature was its utility purposes was the new Suburban we bought for my wife back in 1998.  The bottom line was that we had four kids, a trailer and that my wife enjoyed bringing half the neighborhood kids to church with us each week.  It was the only vehicle that looked good that would meet all those needs!
One of the sadist times for us car nuts was back in the 70’s and 80’s when gas shortages, environmental concerns and the beginnings of real competition from foreign imports in the U.S. put the American automotive manufactures in a tail spin and their creations showed it!  I still get annoyed when I read Ford’s advertising when they talk about how the Mustang is the longest running continuously manufactured Pony Car in the country.  I would beg to differ in that the mid-1970’s Mustang II was little more than a Pinto with some fancy markings and body cladding!
Okay, Okay… I’ll get off my rant there!  Over the last ten or so years I have watched with great interest the gradual reassurance of the Cadillac Motor Car Division of General Motors.  When I was a kid the name Cadillac was synonymous with the best money could buy!  To own one of those “boats” meant that you had made it!  Their slogan introduced in 1953 “Those who want the finest want – the Standard of the World!” said it all.  I can still remember riding in the back of my uncle’s huge 1960’s Caddie that just seemed to encapsulate you in a world all of its own, as you floated along, totally disconnected from the feel of the road and the noise of the world passing by the windows!  
From the 70’s through the early 90’s their slogan became a joke when they pitted their vehicles against the then far superior luxury brands from Europe.  But things have changed!  After years of management changes, engineering marvels and I am sure lots of financial investment, they now have a lineup that will play on an even ground with the European models.  In fact, some of the car magazines have even rated the 2013 ATS as being better in some respects, than the BMW 3 series which has been the car to beat in that model class for many years!  Lately the Cadillac brass has even been proud to resurrect the old slogan of “The Standard of the World!”
And speaking of “Standard of the World,”  Colossians 1:19 declares that “God was pleased to have all of himself live in Christ.” (God’s Word ©)  Robertson’s Word Pictures in quoting Lightfoot says that this is “a recognized technical term in theology, denoting the totality of the Divine powers and attributes.”  Jesus put it rather clearly when He told Phillip in John 14:9 “He who has seen me has seen the Father.” (Modern King James Version)
Jesus is God’s standard!  He is the One from which every other thing sets its foundation.  He and His nature is the standard for every one of us to strive for in our personal lives!  Everything that Jesus did on this earth demonstrated the Father’s will.  He is the mark we should be trying to reach.
When car manufactures create or redesign a model they normally have another vehicle that they use as the “standard” that they are attempting to copy or perfect.  Cadillac has returned to a place where some of their models may once again be the “standard” that other brands will reach for.  As we attempt to live godly lives, we have only one “standard” to reach for.  There is no one nor no-thing that can come close to it, and his name is Jesus.  The Apostle Paul tells us that “God has hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge in Christ.” (Colossians 2:3 God’s Word ©)
So what more can I say?  While I am sure that there are those of you out there that will disagree with me concerning my thoughts about the quality and performance of new Cadillac models, I don’t think that anyone can rightfully disagree with Jesus as the believer’s “Standard of the World!”  Have a good day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”


Did anyone else collect the old Matchbox cars in the little individual boxes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.