Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Right Attitude

As I was sitting at the kitchen table yesterday with my wife, I began to think about attitudes.  I was multitasking by working on the blog and helping my wife finish her breakfast at the same time.  At one point I got somewhat absorbed in what I was typing and then remembered that my wife was patiently waiting for me.  When I glanced up something looked amiss and when I smiled at her I noticed that her cereal bowl was missing.  My first thought was that of the dog, but since I would have heard the bowl hit the floor followed by the familiar jingle of her license tapping against the side of the dish, I quickly looked for another clue.  As I leaned in toward my wife I noticed that the bowl was in her hand and was resting on her lap.  The only problem was that the bowl was upside down!  My eyes got wide as I picked up the bowl and looked at the total sum of the ingredients of her breakfast, bite sized shredded wheat, Quaker Natural Granola, blueberries and milk that was spread over her black pants, blouse, clean sweater and dripping onto the floor!

It was time for an instant decision!  What was my attitude going to be?  When I raised my surprised eyes and looked at my wife, her eyes were sparkling and she gave me a big smile and started laughing!  Her expression and reaction to the situation immediately dictated what my attitude was going to be and I also broke into spontaneous laughter and just shook my head!  I quickly decided that it wasn’t worth getting upset because I had just got her ready for the day and would have to repeat the process and also clean up the mess.  I was just going to rejoice, trust the Lord and be happy with the experience!  Then I took the next expedient step and called in the dog to help me clean up the floor and my wife’s lap and then headed us into the bedroom!

What would you have done in a similar situation?  Who or what would you have allowed to dictate your reaction?  Now I realize that my wife is dealing with the symptoms of dementia and my not have completely understood the ramifications of what was going on, but I also know that her spirit is still alive and strong within her and still works to guide her response to life’s situations.  That is what I saw when I looked into her eyes at the table yesterday.  It was like I saw Jesus and heard Him telling me to relax, laugh and walk in love as He would do.

The more we spend time in the Word, the more that Word, that Love, that solution, will become a part of us and the way we respond to life’s little hiccups!  Throughout these last three years I have become very astute in understanding who or what controls the way people respond to the events in their lives.  Their first reaction to the news or sight of my wife’s fight of faith is usually a clear indication of what influences they are listening to.  In our situation it is either listen and follow the Lord’s solution or throw in the towel and let nature take its negative course.  I choose God’s answer and refuse to give up! 

Most of the daily decisions you make are not life and death situations though.  But the course of action to follow is the same!  Listening to God’s voice is still the best way to successfully navigate through the map we follow each day.  Whose way will you decide to depend on today?  Will you choose to let your emotions cause you to get angry and cry over spilled milk, or allow the loving answers of the Lord to help you to smile, enjoy the moment and come out on top?

Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.