Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, September 21, 2012

To Know


Well this morning started out a little bit better than yesterday.  At least I was alert enough to find a comfortable light weight jacket to help spell the cool of the morning in the house!  Last night was the third or fourth night in a row that I did not sleep well and I was pretty worn out as I slid from under the covers today.  With a hot cup of coffee in hand, I tackled my morning Bible study and found myself returning to I John chapter four.

The sixteenth verse read: “And we have known and believed the love that God has for us.  God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God and God in him.” (NKJV)  What immediately caught my attention was the author’s intention of the word “known” in the verse.  It infers that we have a very intimate relationship with God, as that of between a husband and wife.  The Message Bible paraphrases the scripture by saying “Everyone who confesses that Jesus is God’s Son participates continuously in an intimate relationship with God.  We know it so well, we’ve embraced it heart and soul, this love that comes from God.”

The revelation of that intimate relationship with God just seemed to overwhelm as I sat in the quiet solitude of my study this morning.  I leaned back in my chair, closed my eyes and just enjoyed His presence about me.  This was especially meaningful to me as I have been having a difficult time lately handling the absence of the special intimate, “as one” relationship that my wife and I have always experienced between us since our early days together in High School.  (I just realized today that it was 42 years ago this last Saturday that she and I officially started dating way back in 1970!)  That look that just says it all, the quiet words of love and understanding, the holding of hands, the embraces, the joint laughter, the endless hours of conversation that have never ceased since day one, the unity of thought, action and purpose, the extreme pleasure of just being alone together anywhere at any time… all of these things have temporarily been stolen from us with the onset of the attack on her health.

But as I sat in my chair in the presence of the Lord, I realized that I have and will continue to always experience that wonderful oneness with Him!  It really doesn’t matter what may come against us in this world, nothing can separate us from “knowing” the love that He has for us.  One of my favorite scriptures lately has been from Joshua 1:5 where the Lord declares that “I will never neglect you or abandon you.”  (God’s Word ©)  People, places and things may depart from you for a season, but He is always there, 24/7 – 365 days a year.

If any of this rings a bell with you today, then I would strongly suggest that you find a quiet place to be alone with Him this weekend and let Him overwhelm you with His presence, His love and His healing, restorative powers!  “KNOW” that He will never neglect nor abandon you.  Have a great weekend.  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting TO KNOW today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.