Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Saturday, March 9, 2024

I've Got History

I was contemplating the other day about the rich and wonderful HISTORY that I shared with my beloved wife Piper… and while other couples also share a HISTORY with each other, our particular story is totally unique and special to us.  It is a story written in the annals of HISTORY that I can hold on to and know that is all mine.  There are experiences and special moments in time that we enjoyed together that most people will never know of.  There were special looks, touches and unspoken words shared between the two of us that meant the world to us, but yet to others, would have absolutely no significance.

I came across an old notebook of hers from 2007 with one page that was basically empty except for a few words and was entitled,

“Jim’s Birthday Day”

Underneath the title she penned in her familiar handwriting, “Chocolate Cake w/Chocolate frosting.” And while the rest of the page was blank, save for three other words, my mind’s eye saw a whole story filling that page and many more throughout the notebook. 

I immediately drifted back in my memory to the 36 other birthdays that we had celebrated up to that time, both alone and then with our children around the kitchen table, complete with homemade cards from the kids, balloons, streamers and candles.  I thought of how she always delighted in baking me my favorite cake or pie, many times from scratch, in order to honor me on my special day.  I especially remember her Chocolate-on-Chocolate cakes and Lemon Meringue pies. YUM!

Over the years, I have tasted other chocolate cakes and lemon meringue pies, but none of them tasted as delicious and mouthwatering as hers… for hers contained something that no other’s desert could ever have… and that was her love for me that was the major ingredient for every slice and every bite!

Now this may sound funny, but the memories of her special birthday deserts came wafting through the air the other day as I read something familiar that the Apostle Paul wrote to the church in Phillipi… and I don’t think that it actually had any reference to a Birthday party!  In Philippians 4:19 he wrote,

“I am convinced that MY God will fully satisfy every need you have, for I have seen the abundant riches of glory revealed to me through the Anointed One, Jesus Christ!”  (TPT)

You’re probably thinking that I wrote about this verse in my last blog post… and you would be right!  But the thing that is very exciting about the Word of God, is that it is a living and active* gospel that has countless layers to every verse and every chapter!  As I read this verse the other morning, I no sooner got four words in when the fifth word jumped off the page and thumped me right in my heart!

I stopped breathing there for a second or two as I caught hold of the word “MY”… and the personal ownership that Paul associated with it… and found myself repeating aloud… “My, My, My!”  And when I finally caught my breath, I turned around to look at the dog laying on the couch behind me and exclaimed …with an “Ah-Ha!” smirk on my face.., “He had some HISTORY with God!”

I instantly realized that Paul was so convinced and assured that HIS God would “fully satisfy every need” that the giving members of the Philippian church had… because he had personally experienced the faithfulness of God over and over again in his own life and ministry!

Paul knew God in a similar fashion to the way in which Piper and I knew each other.  He didn’t need to go into a lot of explanation with the Philippians, but simply shared from the wealth of personal interactions, words, both spoken and unspoken, touches, special looks, and the thoughts and feelings that are intimately shared between individuals who enjoy a close relationship with each other.

The Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges states that Paul’s use of the term “My God” are “words that are deeply characteristic of St Paul” and emphasize the depth and wonderful relationship that he enjoyed with his God!  Joseph Benson’s Commentary on the Old and New Testaments explains Paul’s deeper meaning adding that my God — Whose ambassador I am; shall supply all your need — As he has mine.”

And Dictionary.com describes the word “MY” as an adjective which describes a particular quality of the word that they are modifying,” in this case, Paul’s personal description of his close relationship with God.

When Piper got sick, I had different people tell me to watch out because Piper was going to displays certain negative behaviors as the symptoms of Alzheimer’s increased… to which I simply laughed and said “NO WAY” because I KNEW my wife and the precious HISTORY that she had with her God that would prevent certain actions from having their way with her… and you know?  She NEVER displayed any of those fearful behaviors. 

So… How personally do you KNOW God?  Would you stand in front of anyone and refer to Him as “MY God?”  If someone told you that He was going to do something that was contrary to the Word of God and your knowledge of it… would you stand firm and tell them “NO WAY” ?

I would encourage each of you to take a few moments this weekend and ask yourself:

“Do I have a HISTORY with God?” and how would I explain it to someone else…”

Have a great weekend.  We had lots of rain over the last couple of days but are enjoying a sunny (but cool) day today with a warming trend into next week!  So, our prospects are looking good and I hope that yours are as well!

And as I am enjoying the sweet memories of the special HISTORY that I shared with my wife, I pray that each of you are enjoying sweet times in the midst of your current HISTORY with YOUR God!

 

*See Hebrews 4:12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.