Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Saturday, July 16, 2022

PASSION and the Italian Man

I was talking with my cousin over the last few days since the celebration of what would have been Piper’s and my 47th wedding anniversary.  And in line with that event, she was very kind and patient to listen to me talk and reminisce about my dearly departed wife… from our high school days together, until the time she took her last breath… which was exactly six days from the very day we started dating as High School seniors back in September of 1970.

I was telling her that it is very difficult for me to understand a husband who does not put his wife first and foremost in his life.  Since our high school, fun-filled antics together, Piper had always been my priority.  I lived to make her happy, to see her smile and to see her give me that special “I love you” sort of smile when she stepped in front of my camera lens! 

One of the things that stuck with me, and got me to thinking, was when my cousin replied back to me, stating that my response to Piper was a natural reaction of my PASHIONATE, Italian DNA that makes up a 100% of who I am!  I would always joke with Piper and others by telling them that since I am 100% Italian… I don’t bleed blood… but pasta marinara sauce!

This morning I was studying some scripture verses about JOY when I happened upon Proverbs 12:27 where it is written,

“A passive person won’t even complete a project, but a passionate person makes good use of his time, wealth, and energy.”  (TPT) 

It turned out kind of funny… as the more I began to study the word “PASSIONATE” the more I began to see a picture of me (and Piper) emerge!  The King James Version translates the word “PASSIONATE” as “diligent” to which the Greek defines as “determined and eager and/or incisive.”  And in the modern English dictionary, “incisive” is defined as “remarkably clear and direct, sharp, keen and acute.”*

When Piper’s diagnosis was finally made clear, I didn’t pause for a moment.  I jumped into a decisive plan of prayer and care that was motivated by an almost life-long loving PASSION for the most important individual in my life.  Other people’s passive attitudes and unsubstantiated complaints, strange suggestions and lack of personal commitment to Piper didn’t move me… YES!... It upset and frustrated me… but it didn’t cause MY personal PASSION to miss a beat!

In the early and rapidly declining days of our situation, I sadly realized that there were people around us that had never taken the time to even consider the fact that I was wired differently than them!  I don’t believe that they ever saw and therefore understood the PASSION that is deeply rooted in me.  (Piper knew and loved it… and that’s all that really mattered!)

I laughed this morning as I read three or four online articles on Italians and what makes them unique from other ethnic groups.  One was titled the “Top 6 Reasons Why Italians Are So Easy to Love!”** and the first four characteristics were listed as:

·       They are fearless

·       They’re family orientated

·       They are PASSIONATE!

·       & They enjoy life

Another article listed the “Pros and cons of dating (& marrying) an Italian Man”***  And in order it listed:

·       Italian men are gorgeous (what can I say here… Piper once told a cousin when asked to describe me, that I was “a tall, dark and Italian!”)

·       But that means their women are expected to be gorgeous too!  (Piper always went the 2nd mile to look good… any time of the day or night… no matter where we went!)

·       Italian men are romantic (my kids will attest to this as I would dance Piper around the house…)

·       Italian men like to have fun (& so did my ¼ Italian wife… we were a good match!)

·       Italian men are passionate (I can see Piper nodding her head in heaven to this attribute of mine!)

·       And also intense (I guess I have my moments… but I also like to keep the peace!)

·       …BUT they are Mama’s boys! (I always listened to and respected my mother… but after we were married… I NEVER put her before Piper!)

So… I could go on and on about the attributes of PASSION… but I’ll wind it up here with the outlandish thought that God must have some Italian blood (or pasta sauce…) in Him!  When I read His Word, I can literally feel the adventure, the excitement and the drama of His PASSION cascading off of each statement!  It makes me want to take hold of Him and draw Him as close as I can to me.  His Word ignites and builds up an intense fire within me for life and living.  It makes me strive to live to the fullest of His abilities that are in me and then go out and share Him with the world.

Whenever my wife and I walked into a room, I always felt that every eye was immediately drawn to her and her sparkling personality, gorgeous good looks and the heart of Christ that sparkled through her like the golden sunshine on a warm summer afternoon.  And as for myself… I want every eye to see the PASSION of God that is in me and find themselves hungering for that same kind of PASSION in their own lives!

How about you?  How PASSIONATE are you in your Christian walk?

Have a great weekend!

 

*Dictionary.com

**https://hardcoreitalians.blog/2022/01/07/top-6-reasons-why-italians-are-so-easy-to-love/

***https://www.elitedaily.com/dating/dating-italian-men

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.