Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, December 13, 2021

Developing Relationships...

I’ve been thinking about relationships lately, and how they develop between individuals.  Relationships come in all different shapes and sizes, and exist for various reasons and needs.  But my line of thought centered around close, personal relationships between two individuals.

Without a moment’s hesitation, I would unequivocally say that my most rewarding, successful and longest tenured relationship was between my wife and I.  Her’s and my friendship seemed to leap from “Hi, my name is Jim!  Hi, I’m Piper!” to one that encompassed the sharing of our deepest thoughts, desires, hopes and dreams… overnight!

I was thinking about it on Fiver’s and my morning walk today.  It is important to note that Fiver has a good ear when it comes to my multifaceted and at times, oddball and unrelated one-sided conversations that we share each day!

I was telling my four-footed companion that after the first two weeks of being together, Piper and I just seem to fit into a groove that we never slid out of!  To put it mildly… we were very comfortable in each other’s company and just seemed to know how to bring out the best in each other… plus… she made me laugh and I sent the laughter right back at her!  I’ve often times thought that my favorite thing in life was to see her happy with her patented Piper smile that seemed to reach her eyes and convey excitement and life anywhere we went, in any activity we participated in. 

As the seasons of life changed from high school to college, to young marrieds, to becoming mom and dad and all the years that ensued, we continued to enjoy each other’s company and grew daily in our understanding of the unique nuances that made each of us who we were, at each stage in life.

I knew her practically better than I knew myself.  I knew how to approach her when discussing different subjects.  I knew how to cause her to feel warm and cozy and well loved and respected.  And… I also knew the triggers and attitudes that would upset her… and did my best to avoid those words and/or actions… Although looking back, I must admit… I was not always as successful as I would have liked!  Sometimes I would want to smack myself for pushing somethings as far as I did… has anyone else ever been there?

I can pretty much say the exact same things about her toward me concerning what I just wrote.  But you know… We also constantly worked to improve our relationship and to keep it exciting and adventurous… and I can honestly say that it never got old!  We both had our individual ways to surprise the other with funny comments or actions, small gifts or meaningful/loving keepsakes.  This was all something that I tried my best to keep going when Piper’s cognitive abilities began to drift away.  I wanted her to know… to the very end… that as far as I was concerned, nothing had changed and I was going to keep responding to and interacting with her as if all was normal… normal for us that is!

The verse of scripture that got me thinking along this line of thought is found in Ephesians 3:12 from The Living Bible, where Paul is talking about God’s plan for the church (you and me), our responsibilities in the world and our ensuing relationship with Him through Jesus Christ.

With all of this in mind, Paul assured us that

Now we can come fearlessly right into God’s presence, assured of His GLAD WELCOME when we come with Christ and trust in Him.”

Thayer’s Greek Definitions says that this scripture describes “that relationship with God whereby we are acceptable to him and have assurance that he is favorably disposed towards us.”  I like having that kind of a personal relationship with God, in knowing that I am acceptable to Him and that He is favorably disposed toward me!  Don’t you?

I discovered through the years… that there are many people out there that don’t even know that God likes them… much less loved them so much that He sent His only Son to take the punishment for their sins so that they could have this kind of relationship with Him! (see: John 3:16)

The Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges defines this type of relationship between us and God as “the boldness of intimate intercourse” and in doing so bluntly declares that our relationship with God should be extremely close, deeply personal, and open to any subject, conversation, need or dream… no matter how private, unorthodox or seemingly out-of-reach it may be!

Using my example above, God’s desires you and I to have an enjoyable, exciting, adventurous, safe, loving and ever-growing connection with Him… similar… and even better than Piper and I had.  Piper and I always felt free to share anything with each other… even when we might have been upset with one another… storming angrily out of the room (which seems to be so prevalent in the presentations that Hollywood gives us) was not an acceptable option in our home.  There was a freedom in our union for either of us to go to the other for support, comfort and advice on any subject.  We also enjoyed the extravagance of just aimlessly sharing thoughts, dreams, visions and hopes.

I’ll let you in on a little secret… since Piper passed… I do that same thing with God now… and I think He enjoys it!  He and I have developed the habit of sharing all kinds of ideas, thoughts and dreams right after I turn off the light each night!  And I am MORE than sure that He would LOVE to do the same thing with YOU!

So, what do you think?  Is that the type of relationship that you have with our heavenly Father?  Is it one that you’d like to have?  I think He’d like it… and I am pretty sure that you would too!

Have a great new week, and as you do… Spend more time with Him and keep EXPECTING His best in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.