Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, April 20, 2021

I'll Have Waffles!

I have always enjoyed a leisurely breakfast and to go out for breakfast... even more so!  The only problem over the years though, was that with my work schedule and my wife homeschooling, we very seldom got to go out for breakfast.  The closest that we usually got was our relaxed Saturday morning family breakfasts at home!

The only times we had opportunities to go out for breakfast was on our once or twice a year, two-night holidays to the coast.  But we usually would forgo the out-for-breakfast treat and take advantage of another treat… the opportunity to sleep-in!  So, in knowing that we would miss the breakfast window in the places we stayed at, we would always make sure that we brought some delicious muffins… Piper with her favorite bran muffins and me with my lemon poppy seed muffins!

You see, Piper always liked to be up with the kids in the mornings which pretty much assured us of never getting to sleep in at home.  I think part of this stemmed from her enjoyment of being right smack in the middle of all the action, and secondly, because of the hours that her sister and her would spend on Saturday mornings alone, watching cartoons while their parent’s slept-in.

But on Saturday mornings things usually slowed down for our family and on most of them, you’d find me in the kitchen making my favorite pancakes or close second… hot crispy WAFFLES for everyone to enjoy!   Needless to say, our WAFFLE maker got a lot of use over the years… and in fact, occasionally it still does!  When the kids came out to visit me in North Carolina, I would always take them to our local Waffle House in Fuquay-Varina.  I’ve been to one in Tulsa a few times, and I have to admit that while the food is good, the cleanliness of the kitchen area leaves something to be desired!

It is kind of funny in that I came across a scripture a couple of days ago that brought back all of the above breakfast memories, and in particular “WAFFLES!”  Paul tells us in 2 Corinthians 1:19 in The Message Bible that “When Silas and Timothy and I proclaimed the Son of God among you, did you pick up on any yes-and-no, on-again, off-again WAFFLING? Wasn't it a clean, strong Yes?” 

Now while I understand that WAFFLING in this verse has nothing to do with the delicious breakfast confection that comes hot and crispy off the WAFFLE maker just longing for a scoop of whipped butter and hot maple sugar dripping off the sides into your plate, it does cause me to remember that when I go out to The Waffle House for breakfast, that there is no WAFFLING around for me!  I don’t even have to open up the menu.  I know that I want a WAFFLE with a side of scrambled eggs and cheese with a couple strips of sausage.  And that, with a continual fill of hot coffee… makes me one happy camper!

Paul in this verse is also not messing round with his order to the church at Corinth.  He had heard about some mixed messages being taught in the city and was out to make a clear point by declaring in no uncertain terms, that the gospel message of Jesus Christ that he and his friends taught, was the only thing on the menu that they served.

In describing the promises of Christ, he plainly stated that there is to be absolutely no WAFFLING around.  That the message of Jesus Christ was and always will be the only TRUE message.  There is to be no mistaking that Jesus “has never been both a “yes” and a “no.” He has always been and always will be for us a resounding “YES!” (The Passion Translation)

Like Moses in the Old Testament when he strongly stated that the people of Israel only had two choices… life or death with no third option, Paul in his letters to the New Testament Churches tells the same story!  He told them that they had to choose one or the other… and like the example that he and his friends set, to NOT WAFFLE back and forth between the two.  You either believe in and for the Word in every situation you face or you don’t!

For me, it is a decision that I make first thing every morning.  I choose Jesus and His Word… ie, the truths found between the pages of my Bible… to be the truth… every time and in every place!  Therefore, the decision is already made for me BEFORE I walk into any situation!  And the more I study His Word, the more of His answers I already know when the trials and tribulations of life present themselves.  Having that information ahead of time helps me to think straight when troubles arise.  It helps me to ward off any attacks of fear, and helps to keep me in charge of the outcome of the situation!

So, what do you think… or better yet… what do you know?  Plain and simple… Is Jesus and His Word a resounding “YES” or “NO” or is He a “sometimes YES or “sometimes NO depending on how much the situation questions and/or tests your personal level of faith?

Are you going to find yourself WAFFLING around and needing to check out the menu… or know that you know without question… that the Word of God is TRUE for YOU?

Have a terrific week.  We went from the mid-seventies yesterday to the thirties with snow flurries today!  But that’s OKAY!  I’ve learned to trust the Lord in the warm seasons as well as in the cold!

Either way… God wants us to continue to expect His best for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.