Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, January 25, 2019

Legal Documents


I was talking to God in the shower this morning when the word “transitions” popped into my head.  And without missing a beat I began to consider how life is all about a series of transitions from one chapter to the next.  After getting myself put together for the day, I pulled up my trusty Bible Study program on my computer* and began to search for scriptures that talk about transitions.  The verses that stood out to me the most were from Hebrews 9:16-17 where the writer discusses the benefits of Jesus’ death for us.  It declares:

“Like a will that takes effect when someone dies, the new covenant was put into action at Jesus' death. His death marked the transition from the old plan to the new one, canceling the old obligations and accompanying sins, and summoning the heirs to receive the eternal inheritance that was promised them. He brought together God and his people in this new way.” (The Message) 

The idea of transitioning from the old plan to a new plan caught my fancy as I thought about how I am currently preparing our house for sale while I transition from one chapter of my life with Piper, to the new chapter without her. (Ouch!  You know that even hurts to write it!)  And talking about that preparation, I don’t know what I did but my left shoulder was really hurting yesterday!

I’m thinking that it may have started when I was working in the guest bath on Wednesday afternoon.  Besides other things, I was cleaning the walls and the cabinet under the sink.  When I opened the doors on the cabinet, it hit me like a brick when I observed all of the items we used for Piper’s personal needs.  I fell back against the wall and began to sob as everything we went through came flooding back to my consciousness. 

I sorrowfully acknowledged the fact that one never thinks that they’d be taking care of all those necessary and at times messy, very personal needs with the one you’ve always considered to be the most beautiful, precious and yes, even sexiest woman in the whole world!  But yet, I am glad that it was me and not someone else for I know that Piper would be more comfortable with that as she trusted me more than anyone else in this world.  And yes… I would do it all over again, in a heart-beat, without a second thought!

I had to stop and cry on my cousin’s shoulder (or better said, cry on her phone via text messaging!) after that unexpected experience.  I am so thankful for my cousin as she has been closer than a sister throughout all of this.  We talk pretty much every day.  Thank you Laura!

I’ve noticed, that every time I’ve had one of those physically emotional episodes, I awake sore in the morning!  I guess that kind of emotional release is hard on the joints.  And when you put that together with all the sanding and door removal and re-hanging, I imagine that my shoulder had finally had enough!  It does feel much better today though… Praise the Lord!

That verse talks about a will going into effect when someone dies.  When we first moved here, I had some serious concerns from some things that were said and done back in California that caused me to feel it important enough to obtain legal guardianship over Piper, draw up a will for us, as well as a trust for Piper in case I was ever out of the picture.  The lawyer we went to in Raleigh confirmed that these documents would assure a smooth transition for all of my concerns. (and our kids were quite thankful for my efforts!)

Likewise… Jesus’ death, burial and resurrection along with His willotherwise known as the New Testament - also confirms our smooth transitions from not only this life to the next, but also from stage to stage during our physical lives on this earth!  That absolute truth is what continues to fortify me since Piper’s homegoing in September!

What is it that fortifies you to transition from the various chapters in your life?  You might not be going through the emotional stresses of the roller-coaster ride that I’ve been on, but let’s face it… change for most people is not easy!  God’s legal documents found in the New Testament can give you the reassurance needed for your smooth transitions… and it is a lot cheaper than what I had to pay for our legal documents in order to assure the right results for Piper’s care!

What do you think?  Have a great weekend, and as you do, say along with me… “I am expecting smooth transitions in my life as I seek out and depend on the legal documents Father God has written just for me in His Word!”



*I’ve used e-Sword ever since being introduced to it in Bible School.  The basic program with many Bible translations, commentaries, dictionaries, books and maps is free and you can purchase additional translations as desired. 

https://e-sword.net/downloads.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.