Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, September 15, 2017

47 Years Ago Today...


Today marks the 47th anniversary of when my wife and I began to date way back in September of 1970!  In many respects it seems like it was just yesterday as I have nothing but fond memories of our dating days.  We dated for five years before our marriage on July 12, 1975.  Then we waited for another five years before we started our family.  For some unexplainable reason the number five must have had some special significance in our relationship!  Piper originally wanted to have five children until the Lord told her after the birth of our youngest, that our “quiver” was full. (See: Psalm 127:3-5)

Lately we have been watching some of the episodes from the first three seasons of the hit 1970’s TV show “Chips.”  I was telling Piper that watching these shows is like taking a step back into our personal history.  The cars, the clothes, the music (disco), and the familiar character actors of the time, are all a part of who we are today!  But you know what hasn’t changed over all these years… is Jesus Christ!  He is still the same, in fact Hebrews 13:8 tells us that “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. (God’s Word ©)

And you know… whether we drove to church in my 1966 black MGB or our new black 2015 Chevy Equinox, we are still worshipping the same God who loves us just the same as He did when we were practically still kids holding hands as we walked the halls of Montgomery High School in Santa Rosa, California.

I can think back over the years since 1970 and recall many of the mistakes I’ve made since then, but I am relieved and blessed to know that Papa God says to me: “I alone am the one who is going to wipe away your rebellious actions for my own sake. I will not remember your sins anymore.” (Isaiah 43:25 KJV)  Over these same years I have found people who are happy to remind me of my mistakes, but … as far as I am concerned… the only One whose opinion really matters to me is God and what He says in His Word!  Well… that’s not being truly honest…

I was talking with our oldest daughter on the phone yesterday and I told her how much I miss hearing my lovely wife’s encouragement and opinions on the things that I do each day.  A good example is the last time I preached to an adult audience a few years back at church.  Many kind folks came up to give me a good report about what I spoke on… but it wasn’t the same as Piper couldn’t communicate her thoughts to me and hers just seem to have Soooo much more meaning to me than the nice things that others said!  Maybe it’s just a husband thing???

I saw a similar theme working within the story of Jesus and Peter waking on the water in Matthew chapter 14 today.  In verse 29 Jesus replies to Peter’s request and tells him to “Come ahead” (MSG) to which Peter immediately steps out of the boast and starts walking on the water until… “he looked down at the waves churning beneath his feet.” (verse 30 MSG)  But Peter was quick to amend for his mistrust and cried out to Jesus for the help he knew His Master would give to him.  And Peter was right for “Immediately, Jesus reached out, (and) caught hold of him…”  Then He did not lash out at Peter for his mistake but simply stated: "Faint-heart, what got into you?” (verse 31 MSG)

I’d like to think that I (and you readers as well) have been much like Peter over the years of my life.  For Peter started out by boldly asking the Lord to let him walk on the water and did so when Jesus said “Come ahead.”  But then he faltered after a few steps forward and looked down at the situation around him and began to sink.  But he quickly came back to his senses and did the only thing he knew to do and that was to call on the saving name of the Lord Jesus Christ... and I love the next line in The Message Bible that says “Jesus didn’t hesitate!”

If it had been me, I would have been tempted to let Peter sink and squirm a little bit in the churning waves, just to teach him a lesson before I gave him a hand up and out.  But not Jesus, He didn’t think twice about it!  I believe that Jesus knew the heart of Peter and because of THAT knowledge, He immediately helped him.

Yes, Peter made a mistake by taking his eyes off of Jesus, but he quickly saw where he went wrong and turned right back to Him… because in his heart he was committed to the Lord and His ways.  In many ways that has been the story of my life since that day back in 1970… and I am Soooo thankful for God’s loving grace throughout the many days, months and years since then!

What do you think about that?  I bet if you look back through your own life you could see many occasions where the same thing has happened to you!  Those kind of remembrances just want me to stop where I am and PRAISE THE LORD… How about you?

Have a great weekend, and if you get a chance, share your personal stories of God’s love for you with others… and as you do, keep asking yourself… “Whose love, grace, forgiveness and encouragement to go on, am I expecting to receive today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.