Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, December 27, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

New Year’s Resolutions

Webster’s original 1828 dictionary defines the word “resolution” as “a fixed purpose or determination of mind.  The effect of fixed purpose; firmness; steadiness; or constancy in execution, implying courage.”  As I laid back in my comfy desk chair this morning and prayed about some personal changes that I would like to make in the rapidly approaching New Year, this definition resounded within me.  I was especially drawn to the ideal of “firmness; steadiness; or constancy in execution, implying courage.”

I think that it was the need of courage that ignited something inside of me.  As I rolled those words and thoughts around in my heart, I had to be honest and confess a weakness in that area when it comes to following through on New Year’s resolutions.  I can find all kinds of excuses like all the pressures and demands of caring for my wife, how small unexpected changes with her daily health can totally upset any plans or activities we had scheduled for that day, or simply that of being worn out due to lack of sleep.

I’m sure that I am not alone in having a hard time as I attempt to successfully keep my desired New Year’s resolutions.  All of us deal with unique situations that we may feel are completely impossible to overcome.  Sometimes we may even go so far as to think that our situation is like nobody else’s and that others cannot help us.  All these reasons bounced around in my head until I finally quieted the barrage coming at me and sought to hear God’s voice.

Then I remembered one of the first scriptures that I ever memorized found in Philippians 4:13 where it says that “I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.”  (KJV)  Since I’ve heard that “Christ” actually means “the Anointed One and His Anointing,” you could declare this verse for yourself by accurately confessing that “I can do all things through Christ, the Anointed One and His Anointing, Who strengthens me!”  The reality of that verse working in us as we set out to make personal changes flows in line with Mr. Webster’s definition of resolutions. The truth of that promise of the Lord solidifies the firmness and constancy of our determined actions and gives us the courage to follow through until we experience the successful completion of our goals.

You know, it is kind of like Ironman!  Outside of the suit, Tony Stark is just a normal man, but once he puts on the suit, he is turned into an invincible superhero!  By ourselves we only have our own power, gifts and abilities to make our resolutions work, but in or through Christ, we have the invincible power of God working on our behalf!  Now that definitely gives me the encouragement to set forth and then follow through on the changes I desire to make in my life in 2013.  How about you?  As long as we stay diligent to keep the Anointed One’s suit on, we will have success!  Of course, like Tony Stark, we have to know what the suit is able to do and how to work it… but that’s another study for another blog!  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.